Luffy's Reviews > Moby-Dick, or, the Whale

Moby-Dick, or, the Whale by Herman Melville

did not like it

Is there a polite version of saying 'I hope you're roasting in hell since you died Herman Melville!'? If there's not, there should be...Screw you, Melville.

Once on Imdb (books section), I saw some yahoo saying to a naysayer of Moby Dick "It's your loss". The naysayer replied sarcastically. "My loss? On no. What will my boss and my wife and friends think of me when I tell them I gave Moby Dick 1 star?". That's my feeling as well.

This book is only for the pedants, the elite of snootiness, many of whom will be real behemoths intellectually. I persevered with this book just to know how awful a classic can be. I can assure you folks, they don't make them like this anymore.

I don't think I got it. Okay, I admit that. The problem with Moby Dick is not that it's boring. But it's that 99% of people will find it tedious enough not to read it entirely. It's hypnotic in its lack of actual plot. It wouldn't get published today.

Has there been a movie adaptation of Moby Dick? The closest to it is Jaws. That was a masterpiece. Not this book. This book is an editor's nightmare. It is the type of book, that when part of a curriculum of a class will prevent the student from loving books. Unforgivable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick, or, the Whale.

April 2, 2017 – Started Reading
April 2, 2017 – Shelved
April 28, 2017 –
May 20, 2017 –
June 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Way to put your balls out there Luffy! 👍👍👍

Luffy Lol!

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Nice honest review Luffy.

message 4: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse There is "In the Heart of the Sea" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/?...) .
I don't know how closely it mirrors the book though, not having read it. As movies go, it wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about. :P

message 5: by Sharyl (new) - added it

Sharyl I applaud your honesty...I haven't read it yet, but will, out of curiosity, some day. My friends are all over the place on this one. My mother agrees that it's tedious.

Luffy Maureen wrote: "Nice honest review Luffy."

Thanks, Maureen.

Luffy Ms. Smartarse wrote: "There is "In the Heart of the Sea" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/?...) .

All movies must have scripts. Even The Room had one. This book has nothing going for it.

Luffy Sharyl wrote: "I applaud your honesty...I haven't read it yet, but will, out of curiosity, some day. My friends are all over the place on this one. My mother agrees that it's tedious."

It has some kind of nice imagery, but it does get tedious after the first chapter.

Auntie Terror I started it years ago at school and gave up on it when they weren't at sea even after 100 pages... I'll try again some day, though maybe with the same result... there's a good old movie with Gregory Peck as Ahab, though.

message 10: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Hahaha yes tell us how you feel about this Luffy!! I tried reading A tale of two cities because gr friend recommended & I somehow felt like a 'fake' when I say I read classics but never read Dickens. So I tried to read that & failed coz couldn't get past first chapter, the writing, man!

message 11: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy l a i n e y wrote: "Hahaha yes tell us how you feel about this Luffy!! I tried reading A tale of two cities because gr friend recommended & I somehow felt like a 'fake' when I say I read classics but never read Dicken..."

Dickens is a strange author for me. Parts of his writing is very modern (A Christmas Carol, Martin Chuzzlewit). But other books are totally 'classical'.

PattyMacDotComma Excellent, Luffy! You're entitled to your opinion, after all. I remember struggling through this in my teens. But I think I liked the old Gregory Peck movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Di...

message 13: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Thanks Patty! I rarely get peeved but Moby Dick is a rare beast. Gregory Peck was a good actor, I saw his movies several times.

message 14: by Adina (new)

Adina Funny review. MB is one book I never want to read.

message 15: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Mark wrote: "Hey Luffy! I remember when my wife was trying to get me to read Ulysses for the first time. Finally I made a deal with her: I'll read Ulysses I bargained, if you will read Moby Dick. As it turned o..."

Hi Mark; Moby Dick has a pretty low average score on this site... 3.46. Yet it still has many fans. I'm not going to read Ulysses, ever.

message 16: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Adina wrote: "Funny review. MB is one book I never want to read."

message 17: by Adina (new)

Adina Luffy wrote: "Adina wrote: "Funny review. MB is one book I never want to read."

Thanks, and I understand completely. I'm done with books like this, books that aren't meant to read for the plot."
I do like some plotless novels but this one does not attract me at all. Too much seafaring.

message 18: by Alexia (new)

Alexia To find someone who doesn't praise a classic for the sake of its being a classic is most refreshing. Props to you, Luffy :)

message 19: by Perri (new)

Perri I remember being so BOOOORED reading this. Towards the end, for the big climax, my pulse picked up to awake status :P

message 20: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Alexia wrote: "To find someone who doesn't praise a classic for the sake of its being a classic is most refreshing. Props to you, Luffy :)"

Well thanks, Alexia. What this book convinced me was not to read a book because of the challenge in reading it. However, I will finish classics that have something going for them.

message 21: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Perri wrote: "I remember being so BOOOORED reading this. Towards the end, for the big climax, my pulse picked up to awake status :P"

Moby Dick also had the shortest chapter I've ever come across. The epilogue was almost as brief. I was so joyful. The climax made me puzzled. The fight was over too soon. Also I didn't quite know what happened. Kinda like how Mowgli killed Shere Khan, in the Jungle Book.

message 22: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor Well done Luffy, and I couldn't agree more. Rating a book highly just because it's a classic and people think they ought to say it's wonderful is a bit spineless in my way of thinking. Liking or not liking a book is surely a very personal thing.

I have never seen the Gregory Peck film, but there was a TV series I saw some years ago. I watched it, but I wasn't inspired to read the book though!

message 23: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Wow, thanks Eleanor. I thought you'd be a fan of Moby Dick considering the books you read. But maybe I only think I know your taste in books. Maybe nobody cares enough to defend this one.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no! I definitely respect the fact that you don't sugarcoat your opinions, but I have to say I love this book. Haha I hope we can still be friends Luffy :p

message 25: by Luffy (last edited Jun 16, 2017 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Ha, there are plenty of other books on which we'll agree. Even if we don't, we're still friends. What else can I say? I feel sheepish, but relieved. What do you like about Moby Dick? Thanks for the likes btw.

message 26: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Mark wrote: "I like the way the book is written. I find Melville's prose style inviting and original. He has a good sense of pace and also dramatic effect.
The story is simple. Ahab suffers from hubris, and his..."

It's a very simple story stretched over 700+ pages! There's no pacing. I didn't understand your question.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Luffy wrote: "Ha, there are plenty of other books on which we'll agree. Even if we don't, we're still friends. What else can I say? I feel sheepish, but relieved. What do you like about Moby Dick? Thanks for the..."

Haha glad to hear it :)

I read Moby Dick I think about 10 years ago now, but what I remember being most affected by was the character of Ahab. He is one of my favorite literary characters of all time. That, and Melville's use of language and word choice was often very beautiful.

I hope you are enjoying Les Mis more!

message 28: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Tara wrote: "I hope you are enjoying Les Mis more! ..."

I once quit reading Les Mis when Hugo was describing Fantine's teeth in detail. But now I am versatile enough to read the book. That I'll be doing during the month of August during a buddy read.

message 29: by carol. (last edited Jun 17, 2017 05:23PM) (new)

carol. I'd troll you for the sake of trolling, except I'm so sure I'd be bored reading Moby Dick, I never tried it. Plus, whale killing. :D

message 30: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Carol. wrote: "I'd troll you for the sake of trolling, except I'm so sure I'd be bored reading Moby Dick, I never tried it. Plus, whale killing. :D"

That's where my limitations lie...I didn't understand the joke. But I'm glad you commented.

message 31: by carol. (new)

carol. Luffy wrote: "That's where my limitations lie...I didn't unde..."

Forgive my poor attempt at humor. I was riffing off your story about saying to a naysayer of Moby Dick "It's your loss". The naysayer replied sarcastically. "My loss? On no. What will my boss and my wife and friends think of me when I tell them I gave Moby Dick 1 star?". That's my feeling as well.

message 32: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Ah okay, but I have to say you always make good jokes, whenever I understand them or not. Happy reading to you! :)

message 33: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic The problem with classics is - 100-200 years of social dynamics. Very hard to relate. For instance, I tried Feval and Dumas. Even though the writing brilliance is there, the pacing is all wrong, and you have a slow and continuous buildup, but no pause. Like one unending scene. Very exhausting.
Igor

message 34: by Luffy (new) - rated it 1 star

Luffy Yes, I'm still trying to find my feet with classics. But Moby Dick belongs to a category of its own.

message 35: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark André How unfortunate. It's a great book. - )

Benjamin pleb detected