Abigail Yow's Reviews > Undercurrent

Undercurrent by Michelle Griep

A highly engaging read with a touch of fantasy and norse myth.

Career-minded and independent, Cassie has always put her love life and emotions at the corner of her heart's chamber. That is until one day when she was transported to another country...and century. Being lost and confused, fortunately, did not blunt the edges of Cassie's sharp tongue and wits; and her encounter with two very different but related norsemen will change her life and belief forever.

The characters predicament were believable and I liked how each of them were portrayed. Alarik, son of the chieftain, is on the lam for being accused of murdering his older brother. But did he really not commit the act?

But among the characters, I have to say that my favourite is Ragnar; a believer of God. He was strong, gentle and his love for Cassie was really nice to see. He was, in my opinion, truly a man among men.

I thought undercurrent was really well-written. It had enough description, emotions and action to keep readers hooked. The historical detail and the religious overtones weren't too overwhelming to bog down the story.

There were still some unanswered questions that do not affect the story but enough to knock half a star off the overall rating. Who was the shopkeeper and what exactly was his role in all this?

All in all, undercurrent is a good work of fiction and I can't wait to read the author's next book - or earlier book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undercurrent.

August 8, 2011 – Shelved