Ashley Owens's Reviews > Hag-Seed

Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood

did not like it
bookshelves: publisher-for-review

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I wanted to love this book. It hit so many notes for me. It's not just any re-telling, but a Shakespeare re-telling... done by Margaret Atwood nonetheless! Unfortunately though, I did not enjoy it. I didn't believe or find myself invested in Felix's plight at all. It seemed like an unnecessary and out-of-this world (in a bad way) revenge plot. It was contrived and trying too hard to be weird.
In fact there were many weird elements to this book: the main character's traits, that way he talks to himself, the structure of the scenes. All of it was just styled poorly and made it feel convoluted. This, above all else, was a huge disappointment because Margaret Atwood is a master. but it felt like her heart wasn't in it.

The plot itself was not in any way riveting. I was bored by Felix's determination to payback his old enemies at the theater, and none of the inmates or other characters left an impression on me. The whole thing just dragged and missed the mark and was not as humorous or evocative as it strove to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hag-Seed.

April 1, 2017 – Started Reading
April 1, 2017 – Shelved
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: publisher-for-review
April 29, 2017 –
31.0% "Struggling with this one..."
June 12, 2017 – Finished Reading