James's Reviews > Death Distilled

Death Distilled by Melinda Mullet

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2018-10-october

I read the first in the Whisky Business Mystery cozy series almost two years ago and adored it. I got caught up in other series and book reviews, but this fall, I've committed myself to catching up on many of my favorites. Enter Death Distilled, the second book in Melinda Mullet's wonderful Scotland-based series. To start with, these covers are amazing! I want to move there and drink whisky all day long in my tartan.

The premise of the series is that Abi Logan's uncle has passed away, and she inherits his whisky distillery. She struggles to make it successful in the first book, so she takes off to work her day job as a photo-journalist. Three months later, she's back and finds a dead body. It turns out to be from 200 years ago, but then she's asked to play sleuth for a sexy former rocker whose band mates have all died under odd circumstances. Is it his recently found daughter? A spouse of another band mate? A fan with a deadly crush? Or is he behind it all? So much fun trying to guess the culprit.

The backdrop is amazing. I love learning about the whisky business, Scotland, and photo-journalism. The dialog and accents are fantastic. The supporting characters, Patrick and Grant, are very cool. Patrick's her gay best friend (a gorgeous catch) and Grant is her 49% co-owner who she sorta has the hots for... but he's a typical Scot and not sure he can let himself fall for her yet. In the end, I can't stop wondering what's under the kilts!

If you're a fan of non-American settings, this is definitely a series to start. This book delivers lots of suspects, great side stories, and propels the overall story arc forward. My only minor pet peeve is there is sometimes a disconnect with the characters where I can't get on board that Abi leaves between books to do her other job... I'm on the fence, but never enough to stop reading... on to number three next month!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Distilled.

April 1, 2017 – Shelved
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-cozy-mystery
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series
October 16, 2018 – Started Reading
October 17, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-10-october
October 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Great review! I've been wanting to start this series.

James Tracey wrote: "Great review! I've been wanting to start this series." It's got a lot going right in it. The first one was pretty cool, probably a tad bit better because of the story and the MC coming back home.

Dorisbel Lorenzo adames lkkkkkllll