Malia's Reviews > Force of Nature

Force of Nature by Jane Harper

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read 2 times. Last read April 8, 2018 to April 12, 2018.

“It seemed very far away and long ago now. Like it had happened to someone else.”
― Jane Harper, Force of Nature
It is always a challenge, I think, for an author of a huge debut success to write a follow-up. The pressure to please must be intense, and I certainly sympathize and wanted to try not to compare this book to Harper's previous novel, The Dry, which I very much enjoyed. However, it is a difficult task not to compare, especially since this is a series. That being said, Force of Nature is a solid novel. I will just go ahead and say it, this book is not quite as strong as The Dry, but taken as a mystery on its own, it is pretty good. Falk is an excellent character and though I felt he was not given enough of a role in this book (chapters switch POVs and more are in the women's voice than Falk's), I do look forward to reading more about him in future additions to this series. I did find the beginning - or quite honestly, the first half - a little boring and was feeling a bit disappointed when suddenly the story really picked up its pace. I listened to this as an audiobook and the narrator is really very good, so I would recommend that format, though I read The Dry as a hardback. I feel as if I'm rambling a bit, but to be honest, I don't really know what to say about the plot of this book. It was good, nothing spectacular or terribly unpredictable, but well developed and written all the same. If you've been reading my reviews for a while, you'll know that I am a fan of character-driven books, so the somewhat unspectacular plot didn't bother me that much since Falk is a really good character.
I'll end this rambling review by saying I have certainly read much, much worse sophomore novels (ahem . . . Artemis) and I have read better ones, too, yet all in all, this was a solid book and I am intrigued to see what Jane Harper comes up with next for Aaron Falk.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Force of Nature.

Finished Reading
April 1, 2017 – Shelved
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 8, 2018 – Started Reading
April 12, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense
April 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Terrific review, Malia ;) xox

Malia KAS wrote: "Terrific review, Malia ;) xox"

Thank you!!

Bianca Great review, Malia. We had similar feelings towards this one.

message 5: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Great review!!

Malia Bianca wrote: "Great review, Malia. We had similar feelings towards this one."

Thanks, Bianca! I enjoyed your review as well:-)

Malia Deanna wrote: "Great review!!"

Thanks, Deanna!

message 8: by JanB (new)

JanB Agree 100% about Artemis. I have this one in my book bag and hope I can get to it before it's due at the library. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I also like character-driven books.

message 9: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Enjoyed your review Malia!

Melissa Great review, Malia! I keep putting off reading this one, although I have it at home sitting on my bookshelf. I'm glad you feel it was a worthy follow-up.

Malia Melissa wrote: "Great review, Malia! I keep putting off reading this one, although I have it at home sitting on my bookshelf. I'm glad you feel it was a worthy follow-up."

Thank you, Melissa, I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance!

Malia Holly wrote: "Enjoyed your review Malia!"

Thank you, Holly!

Malia JanB wrote: "Agree 100% about Artemis. I have this one in my book bag and hope I can get to it before it's due at the library. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I also like character-driven books."

Thanks, Jan! Glad I wasn't alone in feeling that way about Artemis and hope you enjoy this one!

message 14: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana great honest review Malia! I loved The Dry so I look forward to reading this one and seeing how I feel. some have loved it a lot

Malia Svetlana wrote: "great honest review Malia! I loved The Dry so I look forward to reading this one and seeing how I feel. some have loved it a lot"

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as The Dry!

Rachel Terrific review! Glad you liked this book.

Julie Great review, Malia! 😊

Malia Julie wrote: "Great review, Malia! 😊"

Thank you, Julie!

Malia Rachel wrote: "Terrific review! Glad you liked this book."

Thanks, Rachel!!