Mike's Reviews > The Way of Shadows

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

1940138

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, print, owned, series
Recommended for: Fantasy readers that like a solid dose of action and intrigue

Full disclosure: I LOVED this book! Perhaps it didn't have the grandeur of The Lord of the Rings or the wit of Harry Potter, but what The Way of Shadows lacked in those things, it made up for in action and intrigue.

Without a doubt, the plot of The Way of Shadows had more twists, turns, and surprises than any fantasy novel that I have read recently or that I can even think of. Weeks' story leaps forward at a rapid pace and he doesn't slow down enough for you to figure out what's really going on.

As a result, I sprinted through this novel. I couldn't put it down. Usually, I'll read in bed until I drift off each night, but, instead, The Way of Shadows kept me awake and reading for hours. Considering my sleeping habits, that's a testament to just how engrossing and exciting this novel is.

Another thing I loved was the characters. Azoth is a great protagonist. You can relate to him, but he's still dangerous and excitement just happens around him. I also though the supporting characters were strong and well written, especially Durzo, Momma K, Logan, Elene, Count Drake, and Jarl.

I've read a lot of great books this year and this was really as enjoyable as any. As I mentioned, maybe it won't go down as high art, but it was a hell of a ride and I loved every second of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Shadows.

August 7, 2011 – Shelved
December 19, 2011 – Started Reading
December 19, 2011 –
page 99
15.35% "Really good so far."
December 27, 2011 –
page 570
88.37% "Excellent so far"
December 27, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
February 5, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: print
February 23, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
October 16, 2018 – Shelved as: series

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Finucane Good to know. The 3-in-1 copy of the trilogy is sitting on my shelf waiting for me.