Brydie Wright's Reviews > Maija's World- Possums and Reindeer

Maija's World- Possums and Reindeer by Laura Lohiniva-Hart

With all proceeds from sales of this book going to The Malala Fund, supporting education for girls in developing countries, the sentiments behind Laura Lohiniva's Maija's World project are beautiful.

What's more, the concept of the book itself is really interesting. Maija's World Possums and Reindeer, is the first in a series of picture books for children growing up with multi cultural backgrounds, based on the author's own experience of having a daughter born in Australia, with European heritage.

Published in English, Finnish and German, Maija's World tells the story of a little girl of Finnish and German background, whose grandparents come to visit her in Sydney and she becomes their tour guide, commenting on the differences between Australian and Finnish culture along the way.

I would imagine that to any multi-lingual child growing up away from friends, relatives and their origin culture, this book would provide a very comforting, enjoyable read, exploring themes of living with mixed cultures and adapting to a new way of life.

My four-year-old son and I loved reading the book and admiring the adorable illustrations from talented artist Katrin Klinger, really bringing the Australian/Finnish juxtaposition to life.

I also enjoyed the use of some German and Finnish phrases and I can imagine this book becoming a resource to teach belonging and multiculturalism in early primary classes, as the reading/concentration level required is a little higher than preschool-age.

A delightful read and I recommend this book whole heartedly as both a learning tool and a warm-hearted read for enjoyment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maija's World- Possums and Reindeer.

March 31, 2017 – Started Reading