Mizuki's Reviews > The Nightmare Garden

The Nightmare Garden by Caitlin Kittredge

1.5 stars. I so desperately want to like this book, I want so desperately for the story to improve, but what I get from Caitlin Kittredge is a big fat 'Screw You!' and a middle finger.

How sad, how frustrating.

Oh, I'm always willing to give any Lovecraftian novels/movies/anime/manga the benefit of doubt, I'm more than willing to be patient with any Lovecraft-related material, but sometime, enough is enough.

Note: I read the Chinese translation of this book, so I don't know how good/how bad the original writing is, things can get lost in translation and I would be none the wiser.

The Good:

(1) the Lovecraftian references: but there are fewer and fewer of them in the narration of the story.

(2) the idea that a girl with super awesome power for destruction, and she uses it for her own reason, and (for most parts) not feeling guilty about it.

(3) the adventure: not among the best, but it's agreeable.

The Bad:

(1) The romance: glad to know the love triangle is now broken off, but the main couple..........they are just...........meh at best, annoying and shallow at worst.

(2) The poorly written characters: the only emotion they can show seems to be anger, said emotion being expressed through yelling at each other, being impatient to one and other, characters losing their temper at the drop of a hat, etc.

(3) The poorly written heroine:

(i) Throughout two books, mysterious figures show up here and there and tell her to do this thing and that thing, and she just listens to what those mysterious figures/creatures says and does what they want her to do anyway?

(ii) Did I mention the heroine has awesome destructive power and she uses it? So did I also mention she used it with all the wrong and poorly constructed reasons? (view spoiler)

(4) Lovecraftian monsters and evil deities and the myths of fae don't really merge together well.

I am getting sick of all these faes in the story, I want more Lovecraftian monsters and evil deities, who won't bother reason with humans or play games but only drop right in TO DESTROY YOUR SOULS AND SANITY AND THE WORLD.

(5) The few new characters: I don't care for any of them.

I could have gone on, but I've decided this book doesn't worth my effort.

Will I read the third book? Sadly, yes. Just to see how the ending will turn out.

My review for the 1st book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

In the very end....anyone...?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightmare Garden.

March 30, 2017 – Shelved
March 30, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 12, 2017 – Started Reading
April 13, 2017 –
page 3
0.72% "I don't even know why am I still reading...?"
May 11, 2017 –
page 88
21.1% "I don't even know why am I still reading it, argh."
May 11, 2017 –
page 88
21.1% "I had had enough, why must this girl being so rude with everyone? I mean...hissing and yelling at people (e.g. your BFF, your brother) doesn't make you a 'strong female'."
May 19, 2017 –
page 94
22.54% "I will be happy if Dean got killed in this book or the next."
May 19, 2017 –
page 114
27.34% "And people just adore and worship a girl who earns the title of Destroyer, totally understandable a fictional world homage to H P. Lovecraft! The Lovecraftians and cultists totally love this thing!

And I'm saying all these in a good way."
June 3, 2017 –
page 152
36.45% "ARGH, why must the heroine and her brother act like some hot-heated, easily irritated fools?"
June 3, 2017 –
page 162
38.85% "Everyone from this whole Greyson family just keeps yelling at each other!!!"
June 15, 2017 –
page 200
47.96% "here we go again, the heroine won't bother to listen to anyone."
page 241
57.79% "I can't do this to myself any more...not even for the Older Ones'sake, or for the Lovecraftian reference 'sake..."
page 250
59.95% "so she thinks she is smarter than this tyranny villain guy? seriously?"
page 255
61.15% "Well if the heroine is so smart she wouldn't have listened to every word an evil fae had told her and screwed everything up."
June 20, 2017 –
page 315
75.54% "I am torn, the concept of a girl setting out to destroy the world is so great, but the story is so poorly excised!"
June 20, 2017 –
page 371
88.97% "screw it, she is now fucking everything up for that reason?!"
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: disappointment