Pat's Reviews > The Swan Thieves

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Aug 07, 2011

Elizabeth Kostova accomplishes something in The Swan Thieves that no one whose review I've read has mentioned: a true feeling of what it is to be an artist, both young and struggling or older and proficient..she helps those of us who are "wannabee' painters see thru the eyes of a real painter...the importance of light, shadow, a flicker of color added, the emotion tendered in a few brush stokes.She also summons the living presence of the Impressionist movement with a vividness that reminds us why the alleged modern generation is still drawn to Monet, Morrisot, Manet, Sisley et alia.
In addition, she creates dimensional characters (Marlow, Kate, Mary, Henri Robinson), whose "little" struggles, sufferings and unexpected joys reflect ordinary,flawed, believable human beings. Marlow's evolution from someone, who elected(perhaps involuntarily) not to be part of the passions and sorrows of life and become a detached observer, into a person who discovers (my favorite phrase) the mitosis of love, is gratifying.This novel is a genuine romance of spirit, flesh and emotion, neither cloying, nor salacious.It satisfies both intellect and heart. I highly recommend this especially to anyone who still feels that the Impressionists caught the essence of being alive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swan Thieves.

Started Reading