Trevor's Reviews > The Book of Unknown Americans

The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez

13662036

bookshelves: 2017, kindle-reads-worth-owning, tears-were-shed, fiction, kindle-reads, worth-a-reread

This was such a lovely, unexpected read. Poignant & powerful, Henriquez's prose is hauntingly beautiful. A tale about guilt & love & forgiveness, I loved all of the characters, specifically Maribel & Mayor & the relationship that blooms between them. I really enjoyed all of the POVs & believed deeply in the Alma & Arturo standpoint & how much they sacrificed so their daughter could have a chance to start over again. This is a great example of what it means to truly heal after tragedy & how to let go of the pain that you endure of hating yourself/feeling guilty for so long. I would reread this in a heartbeat (after I dig through my TBR list a bit more). The only reason why I didn't give this the full 5* is because of the minor character's POVs; while they never became distracting, I do think they were short & would have liked them to have been more drawn out, to play a larger role with the MCs. Highly recommended!! I am so glad I found this through my GR friends- sometimes the best books are the ones that were never on your radar in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Unknown Americans.

March 30, 2017 – Started Reading
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: tears-were-shed
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: kindle-reads
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: worth-a-reread
April 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Apr 03, 2017 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Agreed . . . this one took me completely by surprise.

Trevor I was completely blindsided with emotions! You know a book is strong when it hits you in the gut & shatters your heart. So glad I gave this a chance.