Elizabeth's Reviews > There's No Place Like Here

There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

F 50x66
Aug 07, 2011

liked it

First, let me begin by saying I am a huge fan of Cecelia Ahern. I absolutely love her ability to weave magic and reality into novels that explore common issues we all deal with. In the case of There's No Place Like Here, the main character, Sandy Shortt, is obsessed with where all missing people and things go. Do they leave of their own accord? Are they taken? Ironically, this constant search often causes her to lose sight of more important things, such as her relationships, until she goes missing herself.

Although I enjoyed There's No Place Like Here, I had a hard time really connecting with the narrator, Sandy Shortt. I should have sympathized with her constant struggle with OCD and maintaining her relationships with those she loved, but Sandy was missing a "sparkle" and interest so often found in Cecelia Ahern's characters. And since I was only vaguely invested in Sandy Shortt, the story of her life fell a bit flat.

That said, There's No Place Like Here is a pleasant novel but, unfortunately, not memorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's No Place Like Here.