Nazarene Static's Reviews > Punk 57

Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas

bookshelves: new-adult-experiences

I would just like to say I feel bamboozled. I thought this was a YA book and as I got further into this book, I was just like
description

This book is not young adult, but it suuurreeee is good!

In Punk 57, Misha and Ryen have been pen pals for 7 years. It all began because their teachers were sexist and didn't have the sense to double check with each other before assigning names. Fortunately, it didn't scar the already damaged children and they grew close. Until one of them breaks the rules.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The way the author wrote out each character and carefully planned their story and tied together all the loose ends was great. Ryen reads like the typically Regina George, but I actually liked her from the beginning, even though some of the things she did made me cringe. I appreciate the fact that Penelope Douglas can write about the alpha female character, who is so often judged by female readers, but without judgement. I mostly loved the alpha male, Misha. Oh I liked him a lot!

This book tackles so many issues head on, from bullying to substance abuse and it is all done tastefully. There's something great and satisfying about a book that can convey messages without preaching. Because the story is told from the view points of both Ryen and Misha, the reader is kind of left out on quite a bit. We have no real foresight in this novel, which I loved because I didn't get bored quickly, and hated because I'm nosy.

There were a few little things I didn't enjoy about the book but I feel those were more personal preferences than anything major. Read it! Unless you are under 18...then ya know, hide and read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Punk 57.

March 29, 2017 – Shelved