Rebecca's Reviews > Goodbye, Vitamin

Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong

bookshelves: read-via-netgalley, reviewed-for-blog, awesome-title

Reeling from a broken engagement, Ruth Young returns to her childhood home in California for a year to help look after her father, who has Alzheimer’s. She tries feeding Howard every half-cracked dementia health cure (cruciferous vegetables are a biggie) and, with his teaching assistant, Theo, maintains the illusion that her father is still fit to teach by gathering graduate students for a non-credit History of California class that meets in empty classrooms and occasionally off-campus – wherever they can be away from the watchful eye of Dean Levin. As these strategies fail and Howard’s behavior becomes ever more erratic, Ruth realizes the best thing she can do is be a recorder of daily memories, just as Howard was for her when she was a little girl: “Here I am, in lieu of you, collecting the moments” – “Today you…”

This is a delightfully quirky little book, in the same vein as Lisa Owens’ Not Working and Elizabeth McKenzie’s The Portable Veblen. I marked a bunch of funny metaphors:
This morning’s [hangover] is a rodent: pesky but manageable.

It was grotesque, the way I kept trying to save that relationship. Like trying to tuck an elephant into pants.

The moon, tonight, looks like a cut zucchini coin.

But you may well read this with a lump in your throat, too. From one Christmas to the next, we see how much changes for this one family; it’s a reminder that even though the good times are still worth celebrating, they’re gone before you know it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye, Vitamin.

March 29, 2017 – Shelved
March 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 22, 2017 – Started Reading
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: read-via-netgalley
June 27, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed-for-blog
June 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 29, 2017 – Shelved as: awesome-title

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Kristy This is up next for me! Great review, Rebecca!

Rebecca Thanks!

Lolly K Dandeneau wasn't it lovely? great review

Elaine Agree that it’s like the Portable Veblen but I disliked them both. Oh well. Long live difference!