Natalie Monroe's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6688207
I started this in the cold winter of 2017 and finished it in the harsh political climate of Trump and Brexit in February 2019. Everyone says the sequels are superb, which is the only reason I pushed on. But boy, was it tedious. 80% of it is traveling and Gen whinging about wanting three meals a day. Despite all the footwork though, I don't have a good handle on this fictional world or its culture.

Here's to The Queen of Attolia stepping up its game.
36 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

March 29, 2017 – Shelved
March 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 12, 2017 – Started Reading
December 19, 2017 –
45.0% "World-building is sparse as hell, but I hear the sequel is great so...

"
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: bad-beginning-loved-the-rest
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: dragged-on-too-much
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: the-earth-is-flat
February 22, 2019 – Shelved as: when-sparks-don-t-fly
February 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

☾ h a d e e r ☽ MOOD i hated this book


Natalie Monroe lady victoriana wrote: "MOOD i hated this book"

*high five* Everyone says the sequel is better, which is why I'm going to push on hahaha.


message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Queen of Attolia is good but I think the story becomes masterful with The King of Attolia. Which is to say, congrats on finishing this one. It is definitely the hardest one in the series to get through!


Natalie Monroe Amy wrote: "Queen of Attolia is good but I think the story becomes masterful with The King of Attolia. Which is to say, congrats on finishing this one. It is definitely the hardest one in the series to get thr..."

Excited!


La Coccinelle Interesting. I loved Gen's voice in this book, and I think that's why I lost steam trying to continue the series. I only got partway through the second book, as the writing style is quite different.

One day, I want to get through the whole series. I haven't read The Thief in years, though, so I'll probably have to start with a reread.


Catherine Yeah I agree The King of Attolia was such a gem!


Natalie Monroe La Coccinelle wrote: "Interesting. I loved Gen's voice in this book, and I think that's why I lost steam trying to continue the series. I only got partway through the second book, as the writing style is quite different..."

Gen's voice was part of the reason I disliked it hahaha. It's akin to telling instead of showing.


Natalie Monroe Catherine wrote: "Yeah I agree The King of Attolia was such a gem!"

Good to know!


Ariadne Agree! The first book was okay for me, but I absolutely loved the second and third! Hope you'll enjoy them just as much.


back to top