Claudia's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Michele Hauf

it was ok
bookshelves: 2017, contemporary, contemporary-romance, romance

I really hate not liking books, it makes me feel pessimistic and petty. But I cannot say that I was too fond of this one.

I have the same love for heists stories as the author. If there’s a movie about a convoluted robbery, I’ve seen it. I also watched and loved the shows White Collar and Leverage (I guess the author has seen this one too and that’s why the main character is called Deveraux). It would be unfair of me to not mention that I was very much into that aspect of the book. The problem is that the plot really stretched my suspension of disbelief. The characters want to steal a diamond necklace, so far so good. I can buy that. But they want that necklace because it has the recipe for a biological weapon engraved with laser into the stones and… what!? From the start it was obvious that all that bio mumbo-jumbo was just an excuse and what the author really wanted was to have a case with two white collar thieves on opposite sides of the legal spectrum. I guess she could have come up with something less preposterous than a bioweapon.

The characters all sounded the same to me. Might have something to do with all of them punctuating their sentences with “…, yes?”. I didn’t notice at first, but once I did it was one of those things I just couldn’t unsee. That and the constant one-liners that were just so cool that they only fit in a movie script.

It would have all been forgivable if we could have seen some actual robbery. The cool kind, with all the preparation, synchronization, and cool lies and tricks. But all we got was a breaking and entering in which we don’t get to see the actual theft because we follow the character that is cracking the wrong safe. That kind of stuff dragged the book and made it a little bit boring. The second half of the book took me an excruciating amount of time to read because I just didn’t see the point and was waiting for the characters to be done with everything already.

I hate not liking books and I hate even more finishing reviews on a bad note, so I will say that I like elegant thieves and for that this book gets an extra star.

This review can also be read on my blog.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

March 29, 2017 – Started Reading