Dija's Reviews > Bloodrose

Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer

Aug 07, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: jan-2012, wtf-abkjkad, great-disappointment, waste-of-anticipation-energy, why-do-i-even-bother, ya, uf-or-pnr, could-have-been-sooo-much-better, read-in-2012, my-reviews
Read from January 07 to 09, 2012

Thoughts before reading:

What I want demand to see in this book:

1. More Ren. We got a book dedicated to Shay, now I want one solely for Ren!!
2. No Shay. He's not even worthy of the screen-time he got in Wolfsbane, and it would be terribly inconsiderate of Cremer if she makes us tolerate him for one more entire book.
3. Calla growing up for once and making decisions for herself that don't immediately put everyone close to her in mortal danger.
4. Emile dying an extremely painful and drawn-out death, preferably by Ren's hand.
5. An awesome epilogue featuring Calla and Ren as a married couple with a few tiny cubs. ♥♥

Thoughts after reading:

I have yet to come across a more wimpy, spineless ending. This is one of the few times I've judged a book based not on the characters, but on the plot. And because it is virtually impossible to discuss Bloodrose without spoiling it, I'll try my best to convey my feelings through GIFs alone.

I first read the ending, and it took a while for it to sink in.

After re-reading the passage a few times, it finally hit.

And then...

Really, Cremer.

I set out to write a long review (view spoiler), but I now realize that I simply can't be bothered.

So, well done, Cremer. I hope you're having fun in Shayland.

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodrose.

01/07/2012 page 53
13.0% "I was sure I would hate this eventually, but it's already becoming unbearable. Somebody please kill Shay and/or Calla." 18 comments
01/09/2012 page 125
31.0% "BATHROOM SCENE!!! " 5 comments
02/20/2016 marked as: read

Mindee That is a great review, I love it, I pretty mush had the same reactions. And Shayland, that's funny. I hope she sees these reviews and realizes how big of a mistake she made.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: MISS VAIN wrote: "I knew you would rate it a1 star read like me!!!!
Loved your review but my favorite quote was at the end, when you told Cremer to have fun in Shayland!!! ROTFL"

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: My fav is the Hangover GIF!! Hahaaa...Fuck you!! Thats exactly how I felt!!

TheLoupGaroux you totally have a tumblr don't you lol

message 55: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Miss V: I know, your foresight totally won this time. ;D And it's true, it's quite obvious the woman is in love with her own character, and damned be everything else.

@Mindee: Thanks, Mindee! Even if she realizes her mistake, I doubt it would make much of a difference because it's not like she can do anything about it now. Ugh!

@Mrs. VKB: Ikr? I'm still so mad at this book!

@TLG: Yes, I do. How did you guess? XD

message 56: by Katie (new)

Katie OMG you said EXACTLY how I feel about the book! I saw the end, and I honestly don't think I can finish it now. I'm too pissed off.

message 57: by Calia (new)

Calia LOVE this review.. it makes the heartache of Ren's passing.. less depressing.. :)

Mindee Calia wrote: "LOVE this review.. it makes the heartache of Ren's passing.. less depressing.. :)"

It really does. And I really can't help but laugh at Cremer for thinking she ended this book right and that we would be ok with it. What was she on when she wrote it?

MISS VAIN Dija wrote: "@Miss V: I know, your foresight totally won this time. ;D And it's true, it's quite obvious the woman is in love with her own character, and damned be everything else.

Dija, totally agree

MISS VAIN Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "My fav is the Hangover GIF!! Hahaaa...Fuck you!! Thats exactly how I felt!!"

Ditto Mrs. Vishous.

Aly is so frigging bored Wow girls, I see that you're working tirelessly to bring the rating of this book down :D I go see how much it is ;;)

message 62: by Dija (last edited Jan 13, 2012 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @KM: I avoided every single thing related to this book ever since it was released, so I had no idea about the ending at all. But if I had known about the ending beforehand, I doubt I would have read the book. Are you nearly finished now?

@Calia: LOL, glad I could lessen your pain. XD And it's true, blaming it all on Cremer does help me forget about the fact that (view spoiler) and makes it less heartbreaking.

@Mindee: My thoughts exactly! How is it okay for an author to completely do what she wants, regardless of what's good for any of her characters? I mean, even Calla realizes deep down that Ren is the one she's mated to. Shay's just her teenage rebellion acting up, and I doubt that if (view spoiler)

@Miss V: I know you do. It makes me happy that I'm not the only one who felt cheated because of this book. :D

@Aly: The average rating is still pretty good, IMHO. It should be wayyyy less, like 1-star-ish or something. XD

Mariya Oh, man. I'd say lots of people feel cheated. That was my exact thought when IT happened. UGH! She totally took the easy way out and when authors take the easy way it, they lose my respect. :(

Aly is so frigging bored Mariya wrote: "Oh, man. I'd say lots of people feel cheated. That was my exact thought when IT happened. UGH! She totally took the easy way out and when authors take the easy way it, they lose my respect. :("

You couldn't have said it better Mariya.

Dee, I don't think it will happen...

Mariya I would actually call it the "sissy was out" Sounds better. Hehehehe! LOL

message 66: by Dija (last edited Jan 13, 2012 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Well said, Mariya. That's exactly how I feel. And strangely enough, I think this is the first time I've come across a series where the author just (view spoiler). The fact that it almost never happens should have clued Cremer in, but noooo.

message 67: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija LOL, Aly. You and I said almost the same thing about Mariya's comment, except you beat me to it. :P

Mariya I KNOW! I mean that never happened before, except in (view spoiler) But you are right! It's not done for a reason, b/c it is the sissy way out! I mean, write a real ending!

message 69: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija It was okay in HB because Eric wasn't really a love interest, he was the main guy, so it wasn't wimpy, it was just surprising and a pretty good plot twist. If she couldn't have made Calla choose, why create a love triangle in the first place??

Mariya You mean Ethan. LOL

But yes, Calla didn't get to deal with the conversation with telling Ren no, b/c we all knew she was gonna pick Shay. I mean even Rose from VA had that conversation. I feel cheated!

Aly is so frigging bored Dija wrote: "It was okay in HB because Eric wasn't really a love interest, he was the main guy, so it wasn't wimpy, it was just surprising and a pretty good plot twist. If she couldn't have made Calla choose, w..."

Boredom? The trend? Who will know?

I am starting to hate those love triangles a lot! I mean it's ok to read a book with one once in a while, but this is getting on my nerves. I am starting to run from those books/series faster then I would for the plague!

message 72: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Mariya: LOL, yes, I mean Ethan. All these Es are getting me mixed up. XD

But I, being the naive person I can be when it comes to hotties like Ren, totally thought the bathroom scene had changed everything. :(

@Aly: And if it weren't for the fact that even adult books piss me off a fair number of times, I might have sworn off YAs for a while, because they're usually the ones with the dreadful love triangles.

Mariya Haha! All Calla saw was Shay. What I don't get is how she can forget everything she and Ren had been through. She was basically lying to him through the whole book. Giving him hope, not choosing b/c he would leave if she chose. UGH! Calla was the worse heroine in this book. Creamer said she wanted to create a strong heroine and she failed with Calla like 100% failed!

message 74: by Dija (last edited Jan 13, 2012 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Calla, strong? Pffft. She can barely control her hormones, and she's supposed to be strong? Gaaah, this conversation is getting me riled up about this entire series again! *inhale, exhale, deep breath* There we go. Feeling much better now. :D

TheLoupGaroux Agreed.
And, uh, becoming a wolf means she will *never* be the "Strong female" leader. Certainly not by herself. So, ~awkward~ a bit.
I understand Calla not wanting to force one of the Alphas to leave, but no wolf in the book really acted in the typical wolf fashion. If the boys ere incapable of overriding their instincts, they would have had a fight to the death loooong before this. So that reasoning, the reasoning that kept Calla lying to Ren to keep him with her and fighting for her, is void.

message 76: by Dija (last edited Jan 13, 2012 11:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Everything about this book is weak enough to be void, TLG. Everything that happens is just some sort of twisted reasoning for why Calla and Shay make the best couple, which is one theory I am certainly not ever going to buy. In the end, it was all simply about Calla and Shay, and I should have seen that in the first book and not wasted my time on the series. A mistake I'll learn from, to be sure.

Mariya I knew Shay/Calla would be...I wasn't even gonna read the second. Only reason I did was for the ending. But I believed that this series would still be amazing and strong and ummmm, let's see....oh and the author would kill over the other love interest so Calla wouldn't have to choose! BULL CRAP! UGH! Insane! Only good scenes in the book were the Ren scene in my opinion. Shay was sso boring, well the book was boring, Calla pissed me off way in the beginning. I enjoyed Ren and his sister. awwwww. Adne and Connor! <---Love them!

I think Cremer became obsessed with killing off all her good characters though. 8/

Mindee Mariya wrote: Shay was sso boring, well the book was boring, Calla pissed me off way in the beginning. I enjoyed Ren and his sister. awwwww. Adne and Connor! <---Love them!

I couldn't agree with you more.
There are reasons why you're not supposed to kill off your good characters...you lose respect of your readers and therefore completely lose them. I know she lost me as a reader.

message 79: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija I agree with you both, Mariya and Mindee. And she's lost me as a reader as well. I'm no linger interested in what other wimpy characters she can mange to come up with.

message 80: by Katie (new)

Katie Dija wrote: "@KM: I avoided every single thing related to this book ever since it was released, so I had no idea about the ending at all. But if I had known about the ending beforehand, I doubt I would have rea..."

No. I had to set it aside for awhile because I was so disappointed in the author. I feel like the end was such a cop out, and I don't really want to read any more now. :/

message 81: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija I can't say I blame you. If I had figured out the ending, I would have probably dropped it as well. Besides, it's not like you're missing anything great by putting it on hold.

Aly is so frigging bored If you had asked me I would have told you how it ended :D

message 83: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija How did you know?

Aly is so frigging bored Dija wrote: "How did you know?"

I asked Miss V immediately after she finished her ARC :D

message 85: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Oh, okay. But you know how much I hate spoilers, so I doubt I would have ever willingly asked anyone about the ending. :D

Aly is so frigging bored :)) I actually guessed why she was so pissed :D It made me so proud. I know you hate them, but you can always ask if it ended happily.

message 87: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Not a bad idea. I might just do that when it comes to all the overrated YAs these days. :D And so smart of you to have guessed the ending. I might be the only person who found it unexpected. XD

Whitney This this this this THIS. This review is perfect.

message 89: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Awww, thank you! Glad you agree. 8D

Whitney Dija wrote: "Awww, thank you! Glad you agree. 8D"

I want to say 'who wouldn't agree' but that would mean a lot of people... More than likely Shay fans. >_>

is mee... kissa Whitney wrote: "More than likely Shay fans. >_>"
i only know 1 Shay fan. there can't be that many of them. I'm sure us Ren fans could take 'em!

message 92: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija LOL, that's the spirit, Kissa! We could definitely win in a fight against them! ;)

Whitney Hell yeah! :D

message 94: by Megan (new)

Megan I didn't even bother picking up the series completely after reading some of the first book. "/
Calla is definitely on my list of "heroines" I don't care for...

Whitney Megan wrote: "I didn't even bother picking up the series completely after reading some of the first book. "/
Calla is definitely on my list of "heroines" I don't care for..."

That's how I was too, but I finished the series since I loved Ren... But then was extremely disappointed.

message 96: by Dija (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Megan: I know what you mean. Like Whitney, I only read this series for Ren, because I seriously believed Calla would come to her sense/out of her teenage rebellion stage and choose Ren. It makes me so sad and mad that it didn't happen.

is mee... kissa Dija wrote: "I know what you mean. Like Whitney, I only read this series for Ren, because I seriously believed Calla would come to her sense/out of her teenage rebellion stage and choose Ren. It makes m..."
=S i knew it wouldn't happen. i hoped for it to happen, but I knew who she would end up with was inevitable. I usually get a strong hunch as to who the protagonist will end up with. haven't been wrong yet.

message 98: by Dija (last edited Jan 18, 2012 05:05AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija @Kissa: Lucky for all you smart people that you saw through Cremer, but I completely thought Ren would win. Next time I'm uncertain about a book, I'll be sure to ask you what your instinct says and follow your hunch. XD

Holli This review is Epic. You summed up my feelings rather nicely. Oh and if I could like it a million times, I would just for you throwing in Ian. ;)

message 100: by Aamina (new)

Aamina Your review just voiced the past ten minutes of my life
i don't think i'll ever forgive her for killing ren
or simply for shay existing:/
he could have at least stayed human
worst ending ever