Norma's Reviews > The Women in the Castle

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

I found this to be a dramatic and an uniquely told story that gave me a new understanding and a different perspective on this time period of World War II that I have never experienced before while reading a Historical Fiction novel.

THE WOMEN IN THE CASTLE by JESSICA SHATTUCK is an intriguing, powerful, difficult, and thought-provoking read about the struggles and relationships of three widowed women.  Their lives and fates become intertwined by a vow that our main character, Marianne made to her husband and best friend to find and protect these women and their children if a plan that they were involved in as resistors failed.

JESSICA SHATTUCK delivers an extremely vivid and well-written read here from the perspectives of three interesting and memorable women.  We follow along their stories from their past and present lives together leaving me feeling frustrated and heartbroken at times. I liked each of our main characters equally, Marianne, Ania and Benita although, it did take me a little while to warm up to them but once I did, I became fully involved in this story as I learned more about them and the history surrounding this time period.

I must admit though a few times throughout this story I did struggle with some of the historical aspect of this novel as I found the timelines and places a little confusing at times. But, when I got to Part 2 of this novel it was much easier to follow along with the storyline and all the characters involved.  I do wish that I was given a little more insight and background into some of the information that was given to us in Part 1 of this novel though as I believe I might have been able to enjoy this book a little bit better.

To sum it all up, this was an enjoyable and a very interesting historical fiction novel with a fantastic cover that had me totally engrossed in each of these characters lives. As I was learning about these women’s challenging personal experiences and contemplating some unimaginable decisions that they made to the heartwarming and satisfying ending. Would recommend!

All of Brenda’s and my reviews can be found on our sister blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women in the Castle.

March 28, 2017 – Shelved
April 30, 2017 – Started Reading
April 30, 2017 –
page 81
May 2, 2017 –
page 153
May 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Fantastic review, Norma! Glad to see it was a good one for you! I thought Ania was the most interesting character. I really liked her story.

message 2: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Wonderful review, Norma! I am looking forward to reading this one soon. :)

Always Pouting Another great review Norma <3

message 4: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Norma:)

message 5: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Wonderful review Norma! So glad you enjoyed

Norma Brenda wrote: "Fantastic review, Norma! Glad to see it was a good one for you! I thought Ania was the most interesting character. I really liked her story."

Thank you so much, Brenda! Yes, she was quite interesting and the most emotional character for me I think. But, all in all I liked them all about the same but for different reasons! So glad you loved this one! :-)

Norma Candace wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma! I am looking forward to reading this one soon. :)"

Thank you so much, Candace! I hope that you enjoy it too and look forward to your thoughts on it! Happy reading! :-)

Norma Pouting wrote: "Another great review Norma <3"

Thank you so much, Pouting! :-)

Norma Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review Norma:)"

Thank you so much, Kaceey! :-)

Norma Kendall wrote: "Wonderful review Norma! So glad you enjoyed"

Thank you so much, Kendall! :-)

message 11: by Kira (new)

Kira Simion Interesting review Norma. I'll give it a look. :)
Hope future reads also entertain you.~

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances Great 4* review Norma! :D

message 13: by KAS (new)

KAS Super review, Norma ;) Glad it was such an interesting read! xox

Kris - My Novelesque Life Great review, Norma!

message 15: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Another excellent review Norma!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Norma! I am hoping to read it, too!

Cheri Wonderful review, Norma! I really loved this unique look at these women!

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie Excellent review, Norma! Glad you enjoyed it!!

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Terrific review Norma.

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Excellent review Norma! You're right - we basically said the same things in our reviews. I love how similar our book tastes are!! Looking forward to starting our next Traveling Sister Read tomorrow!! :-)

Norma Kira wrote: "Interesting review Norma. I'll give it a look. :)
Hope future reads also entertain you.~"

Thank you so much, Kira! I hope that you enjoy this book too if you decide to read it! :-)

Norma Frances wrote: "Great 4* review Norma! :D"

Thank you so much, Frances! :-)

Norma KAS wrote: "Super review, Norma ;) Glad it was such an interesting read! xox"

Thank you so much, KAS! Yes, I found this an extremely interesting read and a different perspective from a Historical Fiction novel that I haven't read before. :-)

Norma Kris - My Novelesque Life wrote: "Great review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Kris! :-)

Norma Vanessa wrote: "Another excellent review Norma!"

Thank you so much, Vanessa! :-)

Norma Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma! I am hoping to read it, too!"

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I hope that you enjoy this book too! Happy reading! :-)

Norma Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma! I really loved this unique look at these women!"

Thank you so much, Cheri! I did too! :-)

Norma Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Norma! Glad you enjoyed it!!"

Thank you so much, Julie! :-)

Norma Maureen wrote: "Terrific review Norma."

Thank you so much, Maureen! :-)

Norma Lindsay wrote: "Excellent review Norma! You're right - we basically said the same things in our reviews. I love how similar our book tastes are!! Looking forward to starting our next Traveling Sister Read tomorrow..."

Thank you so much, Lindsay! I know right? Love it!!! I am looking forward to starting our book tomorrow too......it is sitting right beside me waiting to be picked up. lol

message 31: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Great review, Norma! I'm looking forward to reading to this one :)

message 32: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Norma!

message 33: by JanB (new)

JanB This sounds so good! I hope I can get to it soon. Great review

Melissa Nice review, Norma! I agree . . . all of the skipping around was tedious and confusing at points, not sure why she chose to tell the story that way.

Norma Jen wrote: "Great review, Norma! I'm looking forward to reading to this one :)"

Thank you so much, Jen! I think you will really enjoy this one too Jen and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! :-)

Norma Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Deanna! :-)

Norma JanB wrote: "This sounds so good! I hope I can get to it soon. Great review"

Thank you so much, Jan! I hope that you get to read it soon too as I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on this one! Enjoy!

Norma Melissa wrote: "Nice review, Norma! I agree . . . all of the skipping around was tedious and confusing at points, not sure why she chose to tell the story that way."

Thank you so much, Melissa! I know....the only way that I could really decipher was from the dates but then I still had to double check all the time. :-)

message 39: by Mary Beth (new) - added it

Mary Beth Lovely review Norma! Glad you enjoyed it.

Norma Thank you so much, Mary Beth! :-)

message 41: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Excellent review, dear Norma! I've had this for some time and need to get to it soon. I love the cover, also! Hahaha

Norma Linda wrote: "Excellent review, dear Norma! I've had this for some time and need to get to it soon. I love the cover, also! Hahaha"

Thank you so much sweet Linda! I know what a cover! lol
I hope that you enjoy the book too! :-)

Angela M I enjoyed this one, too . Great review, Norma.

message 44: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn Wonderful review, Norma. I really liked this one, too.

Norma Thank you so much, Angela & Marilyn! I am so glad to hear that you both really enjoyed this one.

message 46: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Norma!!💋👍💞😉

Norma Kat wrote: "Excellent review Norma!!💋👍💞😉"

Thank you so much, Kat! :)

message 48: by Shruti (new)

Shruti Wonderful review, Norma! Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds awesome. ❤️