prag ♻'s Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

thakrar
(thah●krahr) noun
The precise point on the spectrum of awe at which wonder turns to dread, or dread to wonder.

As in, the 40% mark in this book for me. It was all going wonderfully. I was falling in love with the characters, and the writing was mesmerising enough for me to stay hooked. Sure, there wasn't a plot - and the gathering of strangers seemed inane. But I was promised I would love the book after the second part. I was told it would all make sense.

Nothing made sense. The only thing that did was the romance. And really, I shouldn’t have been surprised. Because Laini Taylor’s books are always this: a girl and a boy.
Lazlo looked up: at the shining citadel of alien blue metal floating in the sky.

Sarai looked down: at the gleam of the Cusp, beyond which the sun was soon to sink.

The beginning was strong. I could foresee lots of character development, and I loved it. Take Lazlo, for instance: he’s a librarian. He lives at the library, he lives the library. He breathes the library.
“Life won’t just happen to you, boy,” he said. “You have to happen to it. Remember: The spirit grows sluggish when you neglect the passions.”
And then, he claims life. He claims his dream. Despite being told that he’s not a man made for greatness - just one to aid those destined for great things. Despite being trodden upon and pushed down, he finds the courage to see what he wants, and walk towards it. Without looking back.
Some people were born to inherit such [grand] scenes. And others were born to . . . what? To stand in the crows and do nothing, try nothing, say nothing, and accept every serving of bitter nothing as their due?
No. Just . . . no.
I loved him with all my heart. But of course, he deteriorated the moment he caught glimpse of a collarbone and a pretty ankle. I had such hope for him, it’s rather a shame what he became.
He had loved the library, and had felt, as a boy, as though it had a kind of sentience, and perhaps loved him back. But even if it was just walls and a roof with papers inside, it had bewitched him, and drawn him in, and given him everything he needed to become himself.

Even so, this book was not without a redeeming factor: Sarai. She's everything I want a main character to be. She's conflicted. Confused. Merciful. And she takes life the way it's handed to her. If she wants something? She goes and gets it.
Sarai was the Muse of Nightmares. But when she fell asleep, she was no sorceress or dark enthralled, but just a sleeping girl with no control over the terrors within her.

This review is getting long, and nobody should have to suffer long, boring pieces of writing (however beautiful it might be) (I'm looking at you, Laini Taylor) so I'm just going to take my disappointment with me and leave.

● buddy read with jenn and may

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

March 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 28, 2017 – Shelved
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: yam
March 29, 2017 –
26.0% "
Most enviable to them back then had been the girl who could bring things out of dreams. If she could dreams it, she could carry it out with her. Toys and harps and kittens, cakes and crowns and butterflies.
Is this... Girl!Ronan?"
March 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: fav-author
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: meh
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: holy-fuck-that-cover
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: let-me-down
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: review-later-perhaps
March 31, 2017 – Shelved as: writing-to-die-for

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

⚔ Silvia ⚓ I'm so sad

prag ♻ Silvia wrote: "I'm so sad"

it went from a 5 star to a 4 to a 3 i'm so disappointed?? THIS IS THE WOMAN WHO WROTE DOSAB WHERE'S THE MAGIC

may ❀ i hate you kay

amy ☂︎ do you want your money back ;-)))))

prag ♻ мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "i hate you kay
also where's my name on this smh first lies then betrayal i cant handle it all in one day pragg"

"guess what I'm in a slump"
"oh also isn't candy crush the best thing"
"I hate tv shows and movies"

WHAT LIES AND BETRAYAL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT LOOK @ SHELVES

prag ♻ Amy wrote: "do you want your money back ;-)))))"

no this was a beautiful book it was good use of my hard earned money

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ *turns around and just walks away from this review*

message 8: by Ritisha (new) - added it

Ritisha Gupta Aw man I was so excited for this :( also dp ❤️

prag ♻ Jenn *The Crimson Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "*turns around and just walks away from this review*"

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH I'M SORRY JENN i still hope you love it though

prag ♻ Ritisha wrote: "Aw man I was so excited for this :( also dp ❤️"

right?? so was i

ALSO RIGHT BACK AT YOU US NOORAS GOTTA STICK TOGETHER

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Yooooo this review hurts my heart Pragya but I still love you to the moon and back <33333333

prag ♻ Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Yooooo this review hurts my heart Pragya but I still love you to the moon and back <33333333"

...so you're liking it more than I did? I guess I just had too high expectations after dosab :/ but HEY IF YOU'RE STILL STICKING AROUND :) ily too

amy ☂︎ i can't believe you didn't delete my comment please marry me

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh yes I'm loving every moment of it haha! (view spoiler) of course I'm sticking around boo it'll take a lot more than differing book tastes to run me off! :D

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ *turns back to yell* WHERE IS MY NAME ON THIS BR!?

prag ♻ Amy wrote: "i can't believe you didn't delete my comment please marry me"

"I'd marry andrew minard"
"please marry me"
"why did I marry you"
"are we like the old married couple"

make up your mind

prag ♻ Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Oh yes I'm loving every moment of it haha! [spoilers removed] of course I'm sticking around boo it'll take a lot more than differing book tastes to run me off! :D"

(view spoiler)

prag ♻ Jenn *The Crimson Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "*turns back to yell* WHERE IS MY NAME ON THIS BR!?"

...I don't know what you're talking about it's always been there??

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (view spoiler)

prag ♻ Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ AT THE DAMN BOTTOM!?

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Will do girl I'll hit you up tomorrow cause I'll definitely finish it while I'm at the gym in the morning!