Milliebot's Reviews > The Jewel and Her Lapidary

The Jewel and Her Lapidary by Fran Wilde

Read 2 times. Last read March 28, 2017.

Maybe 3.5?

This was my first experience with Wilde's work. I have to say, her tone in this book took some getting used to. It's semi...repetative and slightly poetic? Maybe? I could be talking out my ass. Anyway, it was stylistic in some way and I had to adjust.

You're also thrown into a world and its magic system right at the high of a crisis so I spent a lot of time looking like ?_? while my brain tried to frantically put the pieces together. This isn't really a bad thing, more about the way my mind works. But adjusting didn't take too long and then I was on board.

My main issue is that this is a novella - which I didn't know when I purchased it. I thought it was actually a middle grade novel. How did I think this? No clue. I feel like I'm reading a chunk of a full story (maybe that is what a novella always is and I'm too stupid to get it?) rather than a more finished short story. I wanted to know more about the world and the magic system and the two main characters and what the fuck was going on. I liked the characters, but at 84 pages I didn't really get the feeling that I knew them, ya know?

I really hope she writes more in this universe because I like where she's going. Gemstones with magical powers and only certain people can hear them and use their influence? Hell yeah!

Anyway...at 84 pages I'm not sure it's worth the $10.99 cover price, but I bought it on Book Outlet for a few bucks so I'm not mad.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel and Her Lapidary.

March 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 28, 2017 – Shelved
March 28, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 5, 2019 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
July 5, 2019 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
July 5, 2019 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)