Xan West's Reviews > Kim

Kim by T. Cooper

did not like it
bookshelves: do-not-read, nope

Skimmed this at the library cuz I was all excited. Trans author. Semi sorta trans premise. Fat queer girl MC with a pic of an actual fat girl on the cover.

Then I got to when the MC wakes up in the body of a fat queer Asian girl. And the MCs reaction was so intense, so much fat oppression and hatred, in layers. Basically the MC freaks out because they are newly in a fat body and spews an intense amount of loathing and fat hatred for pages and pages. I don't care if the MC learns to not hate fat people and the fat body they are inhabiting later on in the book. I am done.

Note: there are other deeply structural issues with this series that I have been discussing in the comments, with regard to the problem of a white coded character "learning" about racism through being inside the body of a person of color. (The entire series is structured on this learn about oppression through being inside a marginalized person's body premise, which is deeply objectifying, othering, and problematic as a structure for the series.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kim.

March 28, 2017 – Shelved
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: do-not-read
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: nope

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field Yeah fair enough. Wow. Sorry you had that experience.

message 2: by Bogi (new)

Bogi Takács Thank you for this! I am so tired of books where the plot involves "person learning how not to be bigoted". Even when it is autobiographic, it is incredibly hard to pull off right.

message 3: by Shenwei (new)

Shenwei the "white character wakes up in an Asian person's body" thing is...super uncomfortable for me as an Asian person ._.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field Oh wow, I hadn't considered that on top of the rest -_-

message 5: by Xan (new) - rated it 1 star

Xan West Shenwei wrote: "the "white character wakes up in an Asian person's body" thing is...super uncomfortable for me as an Asian person ._."

Yeah. First year, Ethan wakes up as a white girl, second year an African American boy. Third year an Asian American girl. I could not be certain from the skimming whether Ethan was supposed to be white, but I think so, given the structure of the novel & the way it was written. He "learns" about gender, then race, then body image, or something like that, which even though he's from an "ancient race" of Changers makes him default white in the books.

message 6: by Shenwei (new)

Shenwei Xan wrote: "Shenwei wrote: "the "white character wakes up in an Asian person's body" thing is...super uncomfortable for me as an Asian person ._."

Yeah. First year, Ethan wakes up as a white girl, second year..."

using the bodies of POC as a lesson for a white-coded character is really gross and objectifying imo...

message 7: by Xan (new) - rated it 1 star

Xan West Shenwei wrote: "Xan wrote: "Shenwei wrote: "the "white character wakes up in an Asian person's body" thing is...super uncomfortable for me as an Asian person ._."

Yeah. First year, Ethan wakes up as a white girl,..."

I am with you on that.