Dan Schwent's Reviews > Half-Made Girls

Half-Made Girls by Sam Witt

Apr 05, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-books

Joe Hark is the Night Marshal of Pitchfork County, a rural area of Missouri plagued by meth and monsters. When someone crucifies a mutilated girl in a church, Joe finds himself balls deep in a mess involving drugs, demonic forces, and dark gods.

Sam Witt wrote The Astromundi Cluster, a Spelljammer supplement I should get around to writing a review for one of these days. On a whim, I wanted to see what else he wrote and this popped up, for free no less. I've long thought rural fantasy had untapped potential as a genre and I was right in this case.

The lazy way to describe Half-Made Girls is The Dresden Files meets Winter's Bone. There's a lot more grit and a lot more gore than the Dresden files and I don't get the feeling the Night Marshall is working with a safety net like I do with Harry Dresden. The Night Marshall isn't an overly glib white knight, either. He's the guy that gets his hands dirty and does what needs to be done when someone walks the Left Hand Path of dark sorcery.

Set in Pitchfork County, Missouri, a dirt poor place where being a meth dealer is one of the only forms of employment, Half-Made Girls is a tale of dark forces that threaten to consume the earth and the one man that can stop them, the Night Marshall, Joe Hark. Now if he could just put aside his alcohol problem and the curse that has forced a wedge between his family and himself....

Joe Hark is more Roland the Gunslinger than Harry Dresden, a hard man that's been to hell and back a dozen times. When meth head cultist stir up some serious shit, The Night Marshall is forced to do some things he doesn't want to do and question his beliefs and methods in order to set things right. Heavy shit.

As befits the situation, the violence is stark and brutal and no one is making half-assed quips or tired Star Wars references. Even though I knew it was the first book in a series, I felt like all bets were off and I could be reading about a new Night Marshall in the second book.

There's a real sense of place to the book. Sam Witt paints a vivid picture of life in the Ozarks. When he's not painting it in blood and gore, anyway.

Sam Witt is also a much better writer than I thought he'd be. He knows how to write suspense and the dialogue is spot on. Also, he writes things like this: It looked like a bathroom at Hogwarts after a week long meth binge.

Half-Made Girls is a gripping, sometimes gut-wrenching read, so much more than the urban fantasy fluff I was afraid it was going to be. It actually has more in common with Brian Keene's Ghost Walk. Four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Made Girls.

March 28, 2017 – Shelved
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 29, 2017 – Started Reading
March 30, 2017 –
10.0% "Dresden Files meets Winter's Bone - Yes, please!"
March 31, 2017 –
April 1, 2017 –
April 4, 2017 –
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
April 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
April 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Apr 06, 2017 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Well this pretty much sounds fascinating. Great review - I'll have to give it a try. Loving that cover, too.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Thanks! It was a bad ass book and not as light of a read as I thought. And, as always, free is a nice price.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Yeah, really. I didn't know it was free till I went to grab it - then it was an even bigger delight.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Yeah, really. I didn't know it was free till I went to grab it - then it was an even bigger delight."

Not only was this one free, there's a link at the end of the ebook to get Ghost Hunters, the next book in the series, free as well.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Dan wrote: "Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Yeah, really. I didn't know it was free till I went to grab it - then it was an even bigger delight."

Not only was this one free, there's a link at the end of t..."

Wow apparently I notice little. Thanks, Dan!

message 6: by Howard (new)

Howard Boy, I'm going to make it a point to stay out of Pitchfork County (which, by the way, I couldn't locate on a map). I have never heard of the position of county Night Marshal before, but I can see why it was needed in that county.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the Night Marshal on the cover is Walt Longmire doing a little moonlighting. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I got the idea that Pitchfork county was a surrogate for Iron County.

message 8: by Howard (new)

Howard Dan wrote: "I got the idea that Pitchfork county was a surrogate for Iron County."

That does make sense.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* Starting this one now. Tried to put you down on the "recommended to me" section of my review, but Goodreads just keeps giving me the spinning hourglass of death trying to load it, so screw it. Will have to let you know this way

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Starting this one now. Tried to put you down on the "recommended to me" section of my review, but Goodreads just keeps giving me the spinning hourglass of death trying to load it, so screw it. Will..."

Noted! I hope you enjoy it.