Hauke's Reviews > An Autobiography

An Autobiography by Agatha Christie

it was ok
bookshelves: autobio, book-club, non-fiction

I wasn't too impressed with this overall, I gotta say. The beginning was enjoyable, but mainly because Christie's reminiscences about her childhood and parents made me think of my own family history. As the book goes on it seems to get less insightful, more repetitious, and less interested in making anything accessible to the readers; I tortuously dragged myself through the last third of it. She says that she's talking to herself, in this book, and it does feel like sitting in a Cafe listening to Agatha Christie talk to herself. She doesn't really introduce or describe any of the people or events in her life, she just expects the listener to be already familiar. At one point she mentions avoiding the press, and I did a double take, having been given no indication so far that her work had already gotten popular, or how she felt about it.

You don't really get an idea of how she feels about most things. Sure, as she says in the introduction, she wants to reminisce only about pleasant things, but a little introspection would have made me much more invested in the story of her life. She also seems to have very little sense of perspective, of her life compared to others. About her Victorian childhood she says that her family weren't really rich, they only had two servants. Later as she travels the world, she conspicuously gives the courtesy of using their names only to the white people she meets. Any "locals", even ones she spends time with, only get a description.

She also repeats herself a lot towards the last half of the book. Maybe she got away with not editing out her repetitions because the was the great Agatha Christie, but it would have been a benefit to the book.

I did find the descriptions of her early life pretty charming, but I couldn't recommend this book unless you're a huge Christie fan and completionist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Autobiography.

March 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 28, 2017 – Shelved
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: autobio
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: book-club
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
April 10, 2017 –
page 287
51.25% "I'm beginning to get pretty fed up with Agatha Christie's complete lack of perspective about life, money, politics... anything."
April 15, 2017 –