Felicia's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Wow, what an absorbing experience! A true gothic romance, it's one of those books you just fall into and luxuriate. The tension in it is almost physical, smothering at times. It builds and builds so painfully perfect, I was sure my chest would explode before I got to the end. Never before have I come across a book that never tells you the main characters age...what she looks like...her backstory... NOT EVEN HER FRIGGIN NAME! But because of the exquisite prose you get to know her so intimately, I was completely absorbed in her thoughts, what she sees and feels. THIS is what a good book does to you, for people that don't read I almost feel sorry for you for I wouldn't give up this feeling for anything. I've found out that Alfred Hitchcock made a movie of this book and I can't think of a better pairing, this story was made for the Hitchcock touch. I can't wait to see his translation, maybe it will help me curb the nagging need to reread the book immediately! It's been a long time since I've added a book to my favorites of all time and this story has taken it's spot, hell, it deserves it's own shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

March 27, 2017 – Shelved
March 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 14, 2018 – Started Reading
May 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Alan Cotterell Excellent review, you have summed up my feelings about it exactly. I have read this book probably 25-30 times in the last 40 years maybe more. Never got round to writing a review for some reason. The film is well worth watching, actually does the book justice for a change! Although once you have seen the film, the lack of description for characters becomes irrelevant as you see the film characters. You would have to decide if that matters to you.

message 2: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light I love this book and loved your review! Well done! Look at the new cover... stunning!!!

Christina - Traveling Sister This has been on my TBR for a while and your review just blew me away! I'll have to move this up my list ASAP! Excellent review!!

message 4: by NZLisaM (new) - added it

NZLisaM Can't believe I've never read this. I've been meaning to. Super review!

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Fantastic review, Felicia ;) So glad you enjoyed!! xoxo

Meredith So glad you loved this too, Felicia! Fabulous review!

Miriam Smith Beautiful review Felicia 😊

Felicia Thanks y'all 💖💖💖

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) I loved your review, Felicia - and, of course I loved this novel, too! I hope to re-read it next year! :)

Hillary great review i love this book as well and i will have to watch the movie sometime here soon .

JanB I love Rebecca! See, we do agree on some books! 😂

Debra Great review, Felicia! I'm so happy you loved this one. This book is in my top 10 favorite books of all time. I loved the black and white movie as well!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review! Adding this classic to my TBR list 🙋💟

Felicia Thanks y'all 💖 I've yet to find a human that didn't fall in love with this book

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review Felicia!! Mrs Danvers is such a fascinating character.

message 16: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Langford Wonderful review !
One of my favourite books :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Felicia!

Felicia Thank you, ladies 💖