Tracy's Reviews > Just One Of The Guys

Just One Of The Guys by Kristan Higgins

Aug 06, 2011

I loved this book. Stick with me here. I'm not very good with reviews and the more I like a book, the more I tend to babble, lol. I had been wondering about this author. After getting some opinions on Amazon, I decided to check her out. I started with this one because I've read other books with a similar theme and liked them a lot (Her Best Friend's Lover, Seducing Simon).

It's true that Higgins leans toward the "chick lit" side of romance. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about such a G rated book, but I could see right away that Higgins has a way with emotions. I went back and forth between laughing and crying the whole time I was reading.

Some people mentioned that they don't like how the author uses depreciating humor at the h's expense. I can totally see how that would put some people off, but I don't really mind. I think it makes for a more emotional read if you're turning red in the face right along with the h. Sometimes it makes it more sad, or even more funny. I've read books that use this strategy before, and I think Higgins does it well.

(view spoiler)

I love books that involve a big family. This one delivered on that front. All of the characters seemed so well developed, even the ones who didn't get much page time. The side characters and their issues flowed into the main plot so nicely. Probably because Chastity was such an integral part of everyone's life. It just supported the familial feeling I had all the way through the book.

I can't rave enough about this book, and I can't wait to read the rest of this author's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One Of The Guys.

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Great review Tracy, I have some of her books on my TBR but I haven't read anything by her as of yet. This sounds really good. :)

Kathy I loved this book too- I have it on my favorites shelf. I have read all of Higgins' books and have enjoyed them all- I really liked her 2 most recent ones- All I Ever Wanted and My One and Only. Many don't like her behind closed doors love scenes but her stories are so good, I don't mind (that much)

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kathy you've hit the nail on the head as to why I haven't read anything by Higgins yet! Based on both of your comments, I'm going to start reading soon!

Tracy I would recommend it Vicki. The fact that this author could entertain me THAT much without steamy scenes makes her a really great author in my book.

Splage You sell yourself short Tracy, wonderful review. It is hit or miss with this author for me because of the G rated romance, but this was a big hit with me too. I also really liked My One and Only which is her latest.