Tracey's Reviews > The Magnificent Ambersons

The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington

liked it
bookshelves: 10, lyl20, silver20, new2me

If the quality of the writing had continued as in the first 9 chapters I would have given the book 4 stars. But the story lost its eloquence and seemed to get bogged down in how much misery a person can cause for themselves and others when they are proud, believing themselves superior to others and that somehow the universe exists to serve them.
The interesting parts of the book showed how external changes in terms of so called developments cause changes in the spiritual and inner man. How money and the marketplace takes the place of people, true development, and true happiness in the hearts and souls of men. The actual decline of the Magnificent Ambersons was not that interesting. I do not think this is a book I would read again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magnificent Ambersons.

Quotes Tracey Liked

Booth Tarkington
“Gossip is never fatal until it is denied. Gossip goes on about every human being alive and about all the dead that are alive enough to be remembered, and yet almost never does any harm until some defender makes a controversy. Gossip's a nasty thing, but it's sickly, and if people of good intentions will let it entirely alone, it will die, ninety-nine times out of a hundred.”
Booth Tarkington, The Magnificent Ambersons

Booth Tarkington
“In the days before deathly contrivances hustled them through their lives, and when they had no telephones- they had time for everything: time to think, time to talk, time to read,time to wait for a lady!”
Booth Tarkington, The Magnificent Ambersons