All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Oracle's Moon

Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison

Aug 06, 2011

Read in March, 2012

With any great series, it's hard for each news book to stand up to high expectations. Add to that a first book that has joined the ranks of my "re-read favorites", and I was paralyzed with anticipation (and anxiety) when I picked up ORACLE'S MOON. No one is more excited than I to find that no only did ORACLE'S MOON stand up to how much I enjoyed SERPENT'S KISS, it has joined DRAGON BOUND as a favorite that I know I'll be enjoying again.

Grace and Khalil's relationship, as well as the sub-plot of Khalil's acclimation to a human family, are both charming and unique variations of the rescue-the-single-mom-and-her-moppets romance trope. Even better, Harrison explores the relationship between an immortal, infinitely powerful non-human and a young human woman in ways that were nuanced and thoughtful (while still standing up as a completely enjoyable romance). Khalil may actually give Dragos a run for the money as my favorite Elder Races hero. Not as alpha as that sexy dragon, Khalil shares a similar deadpan humor. Whether he's negotiating with a four year old or drunken college boys, he always had me cracking up. Couple that with being a one-man orgy (in one of the best written magical sex scenes I've ever read), or the description of him experiencing human flesh for the first time ever, and there was plenty of chemistry to balance the emotional richness of the story. Harrison blends romance with a robust mythology that few, if any, paranormal romance series can match, and this book is another incredible example of that skill.

As much as I love this series, I have a hard time judging how well ORACLE'S MOON would work as a stand alone. The relationship between Grace and Khalil is completely accessible, however the back-story of how they met (and the context of Dragos, Rune, and Carling) may be difficult to pick up without at least reading SERPENT'S KISS. It’s no hardship to start at the beginning, however (and based on re-readability, if I could back in time and change my ratings DRAGON BOUND would get a clear 5 bats as well). Whether you start at the beginning or just pick up ORACLE’S MOON, either way I bet you’ll hoping for more.

Sexual Content: Several sex scenes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle's Moon.