Bonnie's Reviews > Till We Have Faces

Aug 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, christian
Read from August 06 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert **
The story takes place in a town named Glome, years prior to the birth of Christ with Ungit, goddess of nature as the pagan god of the town.

This is a retelling of the Greek Myth Psyche and Eros with a slight spin to it. Rather than have the tale revolve around the life of the beautiful Psyche the focus is on her ugly, embittered older step-sister, Orual, who raised her and loved her as possessively as she would have her own child.

Psyche is taken from Orual by the gods as a sacrifice by the town. Many years later Orual is given the chance to air her grievances toward the gods and finds that intent is greater than perception. As she begins to read the words she so fluently wrote on the scroll she realizes they are not the ones she wrote, which were her perception, but were those written in her heart that were her intent. Her answer is then found within the intent. This opens up a flood of realization that the intent of the gods will not be known until we are face to face with them or as the book states: “I saw well why the gods do not speak to us openly, nor let us answer. Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?”

I must admit I was a little put off by Orual. She is such a callous, impenetrable character who exhibits all of her emotions as though they are sifted through a cheese cloth and the outpouring is little at best. In the end I genuinely cared for her and wanted her to find the love she offhandedly pursued then threw aside.

Till We Have Faces is a book I plan on reading again. The next time I would like to study it more closely as I believe C.S. Lewis intended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Till We Have Faces.