Maria's Book Blog's Reviews > It Ain't Me, Babe

It Ain't Me, Babe by Tillie Cole

Apr 01, 2017

I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided I wanted to read this book. The blurb alone sounded interesting enough, but the authors note in the very beginning piqued my interest even further since she had used real life research and experiences to piece this story together.

I'm not going to lie, after diving into the first couple of chapters I wasn't sure if I could continue. It took a whole lot of getting used to, especially the "affectionate" way the women are referenced in the MC, and the horrific treatment they're subjected to in the commune. It was just so much to take in. But I quickly became so wrapped up in the story and the characters that I couldn't finish it fast enough.

There are so many unique details, Styx being the main one. I love that he isn't your typical hero. He's flawed in a way most might see as a weakness, yet he uses it to his advantage and manages to intimidate his brothers and enemies alike.

Mae's story is unlike anything I have ever heard of or read about. The fact that most of what she has experienced could actually be happening somewhere in the world is something that stuck with me from the first page until the very last. It's interesting but also horrific at the same time.

The author has done a phenomenal job of comparing and contrasting two incredibly different worlds and the people that inhabit them. I'm just really blown away by it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Ain't Me, Babe.

March 27, 2017 – Started Reading