Chantal's Reviews > The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Heroine's Bookshelf by Erin Blakemore

I completely and utterly adore this book. Blakemore has composed a beautiful collection of essays that are both thoroughly researched and affectionately written. I too grew up with a deep admiration for the heroines of literature (and the ladies that gave life to them). Similar to Blakemore, these women had a powerful impact on me from a young age; I was always equipped with the answer "a literary heroine" when asked what I hoped to be when I grew up. As someone who frequently struggled to blend in with peers when she was younger, who felt demeaned and belittled, underestimated and overlooked I found comfort in the girls and women of the classics. There were some heroines that I was fortunate enough to know from a young age (Anne Shirley, Jo March) and some I have only recently been introduced too (Elizabeth Bennet, Janie Crawford) and some I have yet to learn more of (Celie from The Colour Purple, Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind). What I love most is how these girls and women never become irrelevant. I read these books now inspired by the resilience and internal strength of these women. The ways in which they weather the various storms of life, follow their dreams, stand by their convictions, and search for themselves are empowering.

There is always something new to learn from them, something powerful to be drawn from them, and they will always occupy a large place in my heart (as will this book).
5/5 Stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroine's Bookshelf.

March 27, 2017 – Shelved