Starjustin's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Read 2 times

What can I possibly say about this amazing novel, 1984 by George Orwell, that hasn't been already said by many who have read the book for over half a century. When it is said that the book is 'haunting', 'nightmarish', and 'startling' any reader would have to agree! This well known novel grips the reader from the beginning and does not even let go of the grip at the finished reading. A classic you won't want to miss if you haven't taken the time to read it yet.
I actually listened to this novel on audio and Simon Prebble was the 'perfect' narrator.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

Finished Reading
January 7, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
March 15, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 15, 2017 –
March 21, 2017 –
78.0% (Kindle Edition)
March 25, 2017 –
92.0% (Kindle Edition)
March 26, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 27, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Mischenko (new)

Mischenko Great review! Glad you got it finished. You've inspired me to re-read this one. It's been too long! :) I hope you read Animal Farm too.

Mackey Nice review!

Starjustin Thanks Mischenko and Mackey. I will be sure to add Animal Farm to my TBR list.

Loretta Animal Farm is good too Star but between the two I really enjoyed 1984 much more. If you do decide to read it, I look forward to your review. :)

message 5: by Tahera (new) - added it

Tahera This is on my TBR list and I own a copy too..I just need to make time to read it.

Starjustin Thanks Loretta. I will be reading it soon. :-)

Starjustin Since you own a copy Tahera, you can't go wrong in reading it. Happy reading! :-)

Krista C and if you still have not had your dystopian novel fix after Animal Farm and 1984, Fahrenheit 451 is also good.

Loretta Krista wrote: "and if you still have not had your dystopian novel fix after Animal Farm and 1984, Fahrenheit 451 is also good."

Oh yes, that was good! :)

Starjustin Yes Krista, Fahrenheit 451 was another book I started reading, just as I did 1984, when I was much younger and didn't finish either one of them. I will add Fahrenheit 451 to my TBR list. Thanks!

message 11: by Jessaka (new)

Jessaka People are also reading "On Tyranny" by Snyder, and "It Can't Happen Here." The Tyranny book is depressing.

Starjustin Thanks for the comment and info Jessaka! :-)

message 13: by Jessaka (new)

Jessaka Starjustin wrote: "Thanks for the comment and info Jessaka! :-)"

I just looked at other replies. We all want to give you a reading list. Ha

message 14: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo Thank you for the review, Star.
What can you possibly say?You inform me that the audiobook with Simon Prebble as narrator was 'perfect'. :)

Starjustin Yes Jo, I thought he had a great narrators voice for this particular book. You are very welcome. Thanks for commenting. 🙂

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Well said.

message 17: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie Henderson Thanks for your informative review.

Starjustin You're very welcome Laurie!

message 19: by Steven (new) - added it

Steven Godin Must get around to reading this!, thanks.

Starjustin Yes. It is a classic. You're very welcome.

Renée Paule I love this book :) Glad you enjoyed it.

Starjustin Thanks Renee!

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex Is there a love story?

Starjustin Yes Alexandra, somewhat, there is.

message 25: by Lilo (new) - added it

Lilo This book is already lying on my bedside table. It might be one of my next reads. I am just afraid that it might be too clairvoyant. And I already get the shivers when I watch the daily news these days.

Starjustin I know exactly what you are saying Lilo. I think this book is a must read if you have not done so yet. I actually listened to it on audible.

message 27: by Lilo (new) - added it

Lilo Starjustin wrote: "I know exactly what you are saying Lilo. I think this book is a must read if you have not done so yet. I actually listened to it on audible."

So I will read it. Hope it won't cause me a heart attack or stroke.

Starjustin Omg! I hope not too. It is a classic written from another time to reflect a future that didn’t come about however, possibly could have. I actually read it first in high school.

message 29: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila Lovely review Starjustin. Thank you. I've never read this book before so it is time I did.

message 30: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky Nice review. I think I read this in school in about 1973. It was required reading then. He wasn't too far off the mark.

Starjustin Leila wrote: "Lovely review Starjustin. Thank you. I've never read this book before so it is time I did."

Yes, a classic for sure. This one has been around for a very long time and even though its content can be disturbing at times the reader just has to remember when it was written and why. Enjoy reading! :-)

Starjustin Joe wrote: "Nice review. I think I read this in school in about 1973. It was required reading then. He wasn't too far off the mark."

It was on a choice list for a high school class for me also. I probably didn't quite get the idea of it then but I did this time. Thanks Joe for commenting. :-)

message 33: by Lilo (new) - added it

Lilo I started reading the book last night. I suppose it was written as a bizarre, futuristic horror scenario. However, from what I have read so far, it is not so very far off reality as it has happened in Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Soviet Union, Putin's Russia, Mao's China, modern China, North Korea, and other brutal dictatorships. And when I listen to Donald Trump praising murderous dictators, I wonder how far off we are still here in America from something like Orwell's "1984".

Trevor I agree wholeheartedly that this book is very terrifying. First off could George Orwell have known that he had gotten so close to what his future and our present is like? Secondly the end of the book is indeed very gripping. My favorite part of the book by far. The description of fear, and horror. As well as the fact that the whole Ministry of Love makes complete sense, it wasn't cobbled in at the last second. The whole end of the book was very well thought out and brings the story to a great close.

Grant Sullivan I would have to agree with your comments, the book is terrifying, in certain aspects of how it relates to our society today, and will keep on reflecting of how we act and think in our society. The way you are describing the book, is completely true. My favorite part of the book would have to be towards the end of the book, because the story finally unfolds, and as a reader you realize the truths behind the message of the book.