Lars K Jensen's Reviews > The Lean Startup: How Constant Innovation Creates Radically Successful Businesses

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

Mar 27, 2017

bookshelves: management

Published in 2011, 'The Lean Startup' has become somewhat of a 'new classic'. As someone who works in a digital development department, there are tons of things under the Lean Startup umbrella which are relevant to us.

I very much enjoyed reading this book but for some reason I just feel that there is...too much of it. Too much repetition and to many things to remember for the reader to get a razor sharp and clear image of what Lean Startup means.

In his essay 'Lean vs Agile vs Design Thinking: What you really need to know to build high-performing digital product teams' (read my review) criticizes the way some organizations are adopting the 'Minimum Viable Product' - or think they are:

However, dig into what most organizations know of Lean Startup, and you'll likely end up where most Lean Enterprises do - the MVP. Standing for Minimum Viable Product, MVP has become one of the most powerful and bastardized phrases in modern product development. As product managers strice to steer their engineering colleagues to build only what they need, the conversation inevitably nets out at what most would consider Phase 1 of the product, with the reality of a future Phase II never a sure thing. Despite Lean Startup's core foundation on Agile principles and rhythms, few product teams work to integrate these to products.

Having read 'The Lean Startup' afterwards this makes somewhat sense to me. Because once you've been through that book and all those terms, ways of working, approaches etc., you kinda get why some people are left with just the MVP and whatever they assume "minimum viable" means. This is no excuse, but Ries tries to each us so much all at once.

I am not sure how to address and/or solve this, but a short dictionary or something similar at the back of the book might help us all towards a common understanding of the Lean Startup methodology.

You should still read it, though. No excuses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lean Startup.

March 27, 2017 – Started Reading