Katy's Reviews > Geist

Geist by Phaedra Weldon

Aug 06, 2011

Recommended for: fans of urban fantasy

Please note: Read in July 2012, just updating the order and formatting.

Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult

My Thoughts: I’ve been interested in the evolution of Azrael aka TC/Trench Coat aka the Archer; he’s sort of analogous to a slightly less-charming Spike, in that he started off as the Big Bad and then gradually has infiltrated himself into Zoë’s Scooby Gang. Every scene where he’s doing something kind of inane, like eating grapes, I see in my mind that scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Season 4 where Spike and Giles are arguing about Spike eating all the Weeta-Bix...

One thing I’ve really enjoyed about these books is they turn our normal concepts of right and wrong completely on their ear – the Abysmal creatures are often quite honorable, and the Ethereals we’ve met are mostly grade-A jerks. I have always enjoyed series that are willing to move beyond stereotypes like this, and this is no exception.

One thing bothers me – this Stella chick that showed up in the last book. There was something off about her, but she has disappeared in this book, except for her trying to gain legal control over Dags. This untied thread bothers me; I just know she’s going to come back and bite everyone on the butt.

Now, to avoid spoilers, some incoherent ranting! AUGH!!! Rhonda, how could she? And Dags! *grumble grumble* Why? WHY???????

So, there you go. I’ll be eagerly waiting for the next book in the series, Cherubim, whenever it comes out. I just have a short story left before I’m finished with all the books I could gather in this series, so watch for that review in the next couple hours.

Disclosure: I received a signed paperback edition of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Synopsis: In an attempt to gain power over the borders between the Outer and Inner planes, Adiran Martinique locked his daughter inside the Abysmal Throne with the intention of using her as his puppet. With the borders between the planes closed, Zoë was cut off from her friends and family. Alone.

What he didn't count on was his daughter receiving help from an ancient consciousness that has existed for centuries. Now this entity has promised her a way to break the bonds of the Abysmal Throne and return physically to the Physical Plane and her lover, Dags McConnell.

But should Zoë trust this voice in her head? The last person she trusted was her father — and look where that got her. The Ethereals are after Dags for the magical tome fused to his soul, and in order to protect him, Zoë has to make a choice to trust the Geist to escape, or truly become the Phantasm of the Abysmal Plane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geist.

August 6, 2011 – Shelved
July 25, 2012 – Started Reading
July 25, 2012 –
page 53
15.68% "Interesting start! I'm so exhausted, though - I haven't slept well in several days, haven't slept at all since day before yesterday and I have a terrible headache from my blood pressure going up over these attacks. :-( I need to sleep..."
July 25, 2012 –
page 154
page 157
46.45% "Ah, sleep, glooooorious sleep, how i have missed thee!"
page 165