Mandy's Reviews > The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

bookshelves: contemp

I've been meaning to read this since the moment I heard it was coming out, but every time I went to go to my library, it was always checked out or some ARC got in the way of reading it. I was determined that July would be the month that I read it, and nothing was going to stop me (even when my library gave away my hold D:). Anyway, I got finally got it in my hands - and this book so lived up to the well-deserved hype. Angie Thomas has left her mark on YA with this book, and I seriously can't believe she's a debut author.

Starr Carter easily is one of my new favorite protagonists. She's got heart; she's so ridiculously realistic; she's fierce and strong; and she stands up for what she believes in. What more could you want in a main character? I loved reading her story, and she is one of the best defined characters that I've seen in a while in YA.

Her familyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Omigosh, I loved the family dynamics. They were brilliantly done. Each family member had their own lovable quirks and nicely defined characteristics. I remembered all of their names and could describe them easily. There were no mysteriously disappearing family members in this YA novel - just a loving, caring family that brought so much to this story. I loved every second with them, and you could just feel the love they felt for each other pouring off the pages.

The plot line was so engrossing and heartbreaking. This is a problem that we're facing right now in the United States, and it's so eye-opening to see it from Starr's perspective. It's a coming of age story, but with so many more powerful and important themes included in it.

This story is easily going to become a staple in YA literature, and I certainly can see why and how it should be there. Thomas easily has earned her title as a YA queen, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. This story has so much heartbreak, but it also has so much heart. Of course, five crowns, and an Aurora rating because this clearly is a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hate U Give.

March 26, 2017 – Shelved
July 26, 2017 – Started Reading
July 26, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Finally, finally, finally, the library heard my pleas and let me have this. Can't wait to dive in after reading so many amazing reviews."
July 29, 2017 –