D. B.'s Reviews > The Fires of Heaven

1420571
Aug 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: gave-up, fiction-scifi-fantasy-horror

The book that broke me. I retroactively gave every other entry in Jordan's series two stars because I honestly can't recall any deviation from the standard endless quest trope that plagues most fantasy stories that was major enough to make any one of The Wheel Of Time books stand out from the other. All I remember is sniffing, Trollocs, witches in scarves, arms crossed underneath bosoms, more Trollocs, and petulant protagonists who could do with a good bitch-slapping.

I do know the singular element in The Fires Of Heaven that made me give up on the series: halfway through the "action," the characters feelthe need to join a goddamn circus. I realize that fans have recognized the weak links in the books and that apparently things finally get more interesting near the end, but I no longer have the capacity to reinvest in such a gargantuan storyline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fires of Heaven.

Adriane What's hilarious about this series is that by the 10th book 1/5th of the book is taken up by recap about all the things you read in the previous books.