Julie's Reviews > The Idea of You

The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse

bookshelves: 2017, e-book, kindle-lending-library, women-s-fiction

The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse is a 2017 Lake Union Publishing publication.

One of my 2019 New Year’s resolutions was to utilize by Kindle Unlimited subscription more. I had checked this book out a very long time ago, and it has been sitting on my Kindle, untouched, for ages. So, this was one of the first KU books I chose to read this year.

Amanda Prowse has received a lot of praise from some of my reviewer contemporaries, so every time I saw one of her books on sale or in the KU library, I’d grab it, but to my knowledge this is the very first book of hers that I’ve read.

So, what were my first impressions?

Lucy, after an uncomfortable breakup, meets Jonah, at a baby christening of all places. The two hit it off and waste no time making their union official. For a while, the newlyweds enjoy wedded bliss and life is good, until Lucy suffers through a couple of miscarriages, and her step-daughter, Camille, comes to stay with them.

Lucy’s preoccupation with carrying a child to term, and her tense home environment also affects her focus at work. If that weren’t bad enough several huge situations arise which could put an abrupt end to Lucy’s happily ever after-

I understand why this story resonates with so many readers. The struggle with infertility, and the strain it can place on a marriage, coupled with the challenges of a blended family and career pressures, are all real life issues many people can relate to.

Not only that, the story is pragmatic, proving that humans often make mistakes and errors in judgments, and that life is full of disappointments and unrealized goals and dreams. It’s the way one faces and meet those challenges, that will ultimately allow one to feel real joy and peace, no matter how differently things turned out from the way they envisioned them.

This is an emotional story, but it also ends on a satisfying note. The character growth is the story’s strongest element, especially with Lucy, although, the supporting cast contributes a little compromise and support as well.

My first impression of Amanda Prowse is mostly a positive one. I’m not sure that this story is the very best representation of her work, however. But it was a solid read, and I enjoyed it overall.

3.5 rounded up

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Idea of You.

March 25, 2017 – Shelved
March 25, 2017 – Shelved as: kindle-lending-library
March 25, 2017 – Shelved as: women-s-fiction
January 26, 2019 – Started Reading
February 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you mostly enjoyed your first read by this author, Julie, and for chipping away at your KU pile ;)) Wonderful review!! 😘❤️

message 2: by Farah (new)

Farah Great review, Julie. I'm tying to do the same with my KU as well.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Julie!💖😉

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie! I’ve always wanted to try her books, too, and you have me wanting to renew my KU! ♥️

message 5: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron Nice review as always, Julie!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wonderful review Julie! 💗

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad you mostly enjoyed your first read by this author, Julie, and for chipping away at your KU pile ;)) Wonderful review!! 😘❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! 😊😊

Julie Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Julie! 💗"

Thank you, Lindsay!! 😊😊

Julie Zoeytron wrote: "Nice review as always, Julie!"

Thank you, Zoey!! 😊😊

Julie Farah wrote: "Great review, Julie. I'm tying to do the same with my KU as well."

Thank you, Farah!! 😊😊 Lots of good books in KU. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with library books and Netgalley books and forget to use KU. 😊😊

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! I’ve always wanted to try her books, too, and you have me wanting to renew my KU! ♥️"

Thank you, Jennifer!! Right now I'm not really getting the most out of my subscription, but I do like having it. 😊😊

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💖😉"

Thank you, Kat!! 😊😊

message 13: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Terrific review as always Julie. Glad you mostly liked it b

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review as always Julie. Glad you mostly liked it b"

Thank you, Antoinette!! 😊😊

message 15: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!💕💕

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!💕💕"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊😊

message 17: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Terrific review, Julie! ❤

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Terrific review Julie glad you enjoyed😊❤

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! ❤"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 😊😊

Julie Lisa wrote: "Terrific review Julie glad you enjoyed😊❤"

Thank you, Lisa!! 😊😊

message 23: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Julie, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your first 'dip' into Amanda Prowse's novels. I have seen several of her books offered on specials from time to time but haven't gotten a strong enough feeling to buy one yet. Maybe someday . . . 😊

Julie Jaline wrote: "Great review, Julie, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your first 'dip' into Amanda Prowse's novels. I have seen several of her books offered on specials from time to time but haven't gotten a strong e..."

Thank you, Jaline!! I hope to give her other books a try somewhere down the road. This one was solid, but I think she has written some that will probably top this one. 😊😊

message 25: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila A great review Julie. Like you... and I suspect many more readers I have very many books sitting on my Kindle for such a long time. I've read one or two of her books and quite enjoyed them. I saw Amanda on a morning chat show in England last year and found her to be a lovely lady, bouncy and interesting to listen to.

message 26: by JV (new)

JV Beautiful review, dear Julie, well said! ❤️❤️❤️

message 27: by Fran (new)

Fran Excellent review, Julie!

message 28: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Wonderful review, Julie. I need to get in some of those books on my kindle too !

Julie Leila wrote: "A great review Julie. Like you... and I suspect many more readers I have very many books sitting on my Kindle for such a long time. I've read one or two of her books and quite enjoyed them. I saw A..."

Thank you, Leila!! My Kindle addiction is out of control. LOL! I'm looking forward to reading more of Amanda's novels. 😊😊

message 30: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce Oh I know about those unread books that sit for ages.....glad you found the one you picked to be so worthwhile, Julie.

Julie Angela M wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie. I need to get in some of those books on my kindle too !"

Thank you, Angela!! I have no idea how many books are on my Kindle, but it's a lot. I keep right on adding more, though. 😊😊

Julie Fran wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Fran!! 😊😊

Julie JV wrote: "Beautiful review, dear Julie, well said! ❤️❤️❤️"

Thank you, JV!! 😊💕😊

Julie Marialyce wrote: "Oh I know about those unread books that sit for ages.....glad you found the one you picked to be so worthwhile, Julie."

Thank you, Marialyce!! I've been having fun looking through them and plucking one out at random. So far, I've had good luck with my choices. Looking forward to finding more hidden gems! 😊😊

message 35: by Brandice (new)

Brandice Great review, Julie! I recently read my first Amanda Prowse book, The Food of Love and had really mixed feelings about it, the story in particular. That said, I would probably read another book from Prowse.

message 36: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review Julie 😊

message 37: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!

message 38: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Lovely review! 💗 I've read a couple of her books, and they are usually filled with tragedy, but triumph over adversity. 🌝 I know a lot about this subject...too much. Let's just say after 13 years of marriage we finally had our son 👶👪

Julie Brandice wrote: "Great review, Julie! I recently read my first Amanda Prowse book, The Food of Love and had really mixed feelings about it, the story in particular. That said, I would probably read another book fro..."

Thank you, Brandice!! Maybe we can both find one of her books we love. 😊😊

Julie Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Super review Julie 😊"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊😊

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Lovely review! 💗 I've read a couple of her books, and they are usually filled with tragedy, but triumph over adversity. 🌝 I know a lot about this subject...too much. Let's just say after 13 years o..."

Thank you, TQ!! I'm sure this book touched others who struggle with these issues. So very painful. I have a cousin who went through some similar problems. Thankfully, she had a happy ending, but it was a long time coming. 💖

message 43: by Susan's (new) - added it

Susan's Reviews After your excellent and thorough review, I might give this one a chance. I like books with character development - you just said the magic word for me!

Julie Susan's wrote: "After your excellent and thorough review, I might give this one a chance. I like books with character development - you just said the magic word for me!"

Thank you, Susan!! Enjoy!! 💖

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wonderful review Julie!

Julie Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 💖

message 47: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson I’ve seen her books a lot but never read any of them! Fantastic review Julie!! 💖

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Fab review as always Julie 💕

Julie Deborah wrote: "Fab review as always Julie 💕"

Thank you, Deborah!! 😊😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "I’ve seen her books a lot but never read any of them! Fantastic review Julie!! 💖"

Thank you, Nicola!! Seems like she had quite a few releases all at once. She has plenty of books to choose from! I'll check more of them out someday, I'm sure. 😊😊

« previous 1