Miles's Reviews > Iron House

Iron House by John Hart

bookshelves: reviews

Two babies left to die in an icy creak. Two boys who must fight to survive. Two men, two very different lives. One unbreakable bond.

When a twelve-year-old boy murders his tormentor in their brutal orphanage, his older brother takes the blame and runs to New York - into the heart of organized crime. Two decades later, Michael returns to North Carolina with a sentence on his head, the mob in hot pursuit and his long-lost brother in trouble of a different kind. With vast sums in play, political fortunes at risk and bodies piling up, the brothers must reunite to solve the mystery of their shared past.

We are half way through the year and I have a monumental problem – not only is there a distinct lack of sunshine for our supposedly glorious British summer - I honestly have no clue how I’m going to finalise a Top 20 reads list for 2011. The quality on offer this year has been outstanding so far and with the addition of John Hart’s Iron House, the front runners are now getting anxious and even if I declared 2011 over right this minute, I’d still have a problem.

So where does one begin reviewing Iron House? I guess, following the advice from Super Nun Maria in The Sound of Music, “Let’s start at the very beginning, a very good place to start” – not that there are any comparisons between the two – actually, come to think of it, both have great big mountains in the storyline so a tentative link has been formed! Et voilà! [Ok ok so I don’t see Michael singing Do-re-mi – he’s just not that type.]

The first couple of chapters in Iron House, like so many other titles out there, set the tone for the entire book and until its dénouement there really is no let-up in its pace, intrigue, freneticism and of course death – cold, hard and calculated death. Within a matter of pages I’d lost track of the death count and an abacus was called for and although there are moments when, believe it or not, no-one is murdered the narrative continues regardless with a mesmerising storyline that teases throughout.

Full Review on my blog:- http://www.milorambles.com/2011/06/17...

Iron House is a complex page turner in every sense. You think you know what’s going to happen but believe me you really have no idea. I distinctly remember reaching the half-way point and thinking that I had everything sorted and couldn’t see any other way out but I couldn’t be further from the truth. The book keeps changing; Hart takes you one way and then flips everything on its head and changes direction – very clever.

John Hart is a magnificent storyteller and I couldn’t shake the comparison I felt with another of my favourite authors, Michael Koryta [So Cold the River, Cypress House]. Writing evocatively Hart draws the reader in with a wonderful narrative that is effortless to read and incredibly morish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron House.

Started Reading
June 17, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 6, 2011 – Shelved
August 6, 2011 – Shelved as: reviews

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by James (new)

James Thane John Hart is one of my favorite "new" authors. I'm anxious to get to this one, especially after reading your review.