Elizabeth Neal's Reviews > Romancing the Bachelor

Romancing the Bachelor by Diane Alberts

liked it
bookshelves: entangled-arc-review

Eric, a lawyer, is taking time to notice his surroundings. Of course, that's only because he's sitting in a courtroom, waiting on the opposing counsel, who is late, to appear. Later, he'll be attending a family dinner where he thinks Anna, his sister, will be proposed to by her boyfriend, Brett. (See book one, The CEO's Seduction, for their story.) Eric knows Anna will eagerly accept, but marriage isn't something Eric sees for himself. Not only is his life already complicated enough, but he also doesn't really believe that type of love exists. *I object. Permission to treat this character as hostile, fellow readers? LOL Okay, he just hasn't met the one yet.*  Finally, Brian has arriv...that's not Brian at all. She intrigues him and he's now got his next goal already set for himself. He just has to ensure, once he catches her, that she knows it's only temporary. He also knows she looks familiar.

Shelby, a court reporter, hates the city. It's nothing really personal against Atlanta, she's just a country girl at heart. Not to mention, she'd only moved there for a man, one that had ended up cheating on her. Yeah, that's another strike for the place, the bad memories equated with it. She was leaving soon, she hoped, and moving to the country again. She doesn't fit in, knowing she's out of her league, especially where Eric is concerned. Although, he did seem to notice her today, for the first time. Which is ironic considering she's a court reporter, he's a lawyer, and they live in the same building. He's six months behind in his sudden interest. Plus, he has a reputation...and she's seen the proof of it every weekend. The routine is the same, the women just change.

Eric doesn't know what it is about Shelby, but he can't stop thinking about her. He even cancelled his weekend dates. *Gag.* (Yeah, he's really not endearing himself to me.) After Shelby's view on his numerous "guests," he took a look at himself and realized he didn't like the person he'd become. He's just not sure how to fix it.

Shelby, though attracted to him, knows his type and she's been there, done that. She's also aware that he won't accept her flat out refusal for a date, so she decides to try a different tactic. She knows what will push his buttons, and decides to use that to her advantage.

Eric is mesmerized by Shelby. He wants her to see the other side of him, the good guy, and prove he can become an even better one. What he'd usually find annoying with anyone else, is adorable with her.

Abort. Mission failure. Shelby is beginning to see underneath the surface with Eric, and she likes it. Danger. Danger.

As the two agree to an actual friendship, they spend a lot of time together and Shelby sees the true Eric, the man he used to be before he lost himself. Eric, on the other hand, continues to see how special Shelby is. Both are cautious, again agreeing to no relationship, and when Shelby finds a job, leaving the city as she dreams of, Eric will let her go. They won't fall in love. He won't ask her to stay. She won't want to stay. But, as that old cliche goes, the best laid plans...

What happens when both Eric and Shelby fall for one another? What does that mean for Shelby's goals? Will she let a man choose her path again? Or has she realized being with Eric is what she wants and needs? Will Eric ask her to stay, admitting his feelings? Or will he let her go, believing it's the best thing for her? Can these two compromise and begin their future together? Or will they only be left with memories?

One-click now and follow this couple's journey to forever. While there were characteristics of Eric I didn't like, see below, he won me over toward the end, and with his devotion to Shelby. You could tell the depth of his love for her, even if he hadn't acknowledged it yet himself. I am really curious about Cole's story and I hope he's next. Wyatt's, a pro football player, worries me as I fear the manwhore disease will have infected him too.

On a purely personal note, I really wish Eric wasn't portrayed as he was, having different women every weekend, with no repeats. Also, his comment to Shelby, after she's repeatedly turned him down and let him know why, regarding women never turning him down, is tacky. You're trying to get a woman that already knows you're a manwhore to go out with you, so it's not helpful at all to remind her of that, nor does said woman want to hear anything regarding your apparently vast sexual history. It's not heroic, it's gross. I hate when the heroine has seen evidence of the "hero's" sexual life, whether they're together or not. You can't unknow or unsee that information or those visuals.

**I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.**
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romancing the Bachelor.

March 24, 2017 – Shelved