Drew Graham's Reviews > The Vile Village

The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket

Aug 05, 2011

bookshelves: me

Here I am, Book the Seventh, over halfway through the entire unfortunate series. Based on the adage "It takes a village to raise a child," the Baudelaires are sent to be raised by the citizens of the Village of Fowl Devotees, which turns out to be as troublesome a living situation as any they have encountered so far. Their only ally, the town's handyman Hector, is kind and caring, but superlatively ineffective when it comes to standing up to the ridiculous citizens of the town. The Baudelaires have to avoid Count Olaf and his newest accomplice in their latest disguises, and continue their search for the kidnapped Quagmire triplets, AND find the truth of the mysterious V.F.D.

The Vile Village is a turning point in this series, and a lot of significant things happen here. The story of the Snickets is expanded (to sorrowful seeming end), the case of V.F.D. continues, the kids have to do some serious problem solving with higher stakes than ever, and this is the least traditional "guardian" the orphans have ever been left with. I love the use of wordplay in this too, through Isadora's couplet clues, and the village, complete with its outrageous rules and inclination toward mob psychology, is appropriately maddening. The Baudelaires are forced to face a false accusation of murder, which is new and ominous to them, and somber and notable is the celebration of Klaus's 13th birthday in jail (sure, it's the Deluxe Cell, but still), and Sunny's vocabulary expanding, not to mention the youngest Baudelaire taking her very first steps. It should also be noted that this is the book where the infamous Littlest Elf of the film is mentioned in the text. Time is passing for these kids, and as the story becomes more elaborate and the stakes get higher, the style and sad humor remains perfectly intact. I also think this book has a pretty fantastic finale.

It's kind of amazing to me how, even after seven books, the horrid people in these books can still surprise me with how stupid they are. But even more impressive is how, even after seven books, the most excellent Baudelaires can still surprise me with how resilient and resourceful they are.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vile Village.

August 5, 2011 – Started Reading
August 10, 2011 –
page 213
August 10, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2015 – Shelved as: me

Cami This is what Jeffy is reading at the very moment. I had to teach him how to saw "Jaques."