Christie72's Reviews > The Heartbeat Hypothesis

The Heartbeat Hypothesis by Lindsey Frydman

bookshelves: beautiful, emotional, favorites, romance, sweet

“So life is about the in-between. Between the beginning and the end, between the past and the future. It’s about the now.”

What a stunning, emotional, and beautiful novel!!!! It’s literally the best debut novel I have ever read! I was quite intrigued when I read the synopsis, but nothing could have prepared me for what I read!

Audra wasn’t supposed to be enjoying her first year of college until she received a miracle…a new heart. Yet, someone else lost their life for her to live hers, and she is more than grateful for that. She wants to honor the young girl, Emily, who gave her a second chance at life. She enlists the help of Emily’s brother, Jake, to help her do that. From the moment she meets Jake, I know as well as she does that her life will forever be changed.

I can’t say how very much I loved Jake and Audra! Both are extremely complex characters. I knew Audra as the story is told from her POV, but I felt like I was discovering Jake and his secrets just like she was. Both are filled with pain and guilt over Emily but for very different reasons. She feels guilty because she has Emily’s heart, and Emily is gone. Of course, Jake misses his sister, but there are also secrets concerning her death that continue to hold him captive. Audra wants so much to take his pain away and to make her life mean something because of Emily’s gift. Jake trusts no one, but I could tell he very much wanted to trust Audra. There was no doubt in my mind that Jake wanted to take that leap with Audra, and I kept praying he would just let go and do it! In my opinion Emily was just as much a character as Audra and Jake. I, like Audra, was able to learn who Emily was. It amazed me how Fydman was able to bring healing through Emily. Audra’s friend, Kat, was an important character as well. She greatly impacted Audra’s life as well. I thought it was a genius move on the writer’s part to use secondary characters in such a powerful way.

As much as I loved the characters, I loved Lindsey Frydman’s actual words….her writing…the symbolism and the deeper meaning of the book. I was in awe with how she took a story filled with pain and turned into something beautiful. Lindsey Frydman gave us one of those rare books that not only grabs your emotions but your very soul! It makes the reader take a moment and look at their lives, and it very may well change the way you look at life. I know it made me take a breath and ponder how I look at my life. It’s one of the best books I have ever read!!!!

“My heart increased its manic cadence, and I was so never grateful to feel it. I placed my hand on Jake’s chest and felt his pulse beat in time with mine, thinking maybe the point of life wasn’t to live—maybe the point was to love.”

****Reviewed on behalf of Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heartbeat Hypothesis.

Started Reading