Lia °on a summer hiatus but don't worry I'll be back°'s Reviews > Captive Prince: Volume Two

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat

“To get what you want, you have to know exactly how much you are willing to give up.”

If there's something rereads taught me over this past few years, it's how much your judgment on a book can change (for the better or worse) after you read it more than once.
Prince's Gambit is the actual confimation of this statement, since I loved it the first time I read it, and adored it this time around.
I feel like the slow burn was easier to handle in this one, not to mention how the writing improved in a matter of pages and I found myself enjoying and savoring every single line after the first two chapters.

Laurent is still a mess, but he's one hell of a complicated and amazing mess. *sighs* My son.
We finally get to see his real self come to surface, and we get a glimpse of the truth, a hint of what's really there, behind his mean behavior and cold blue eyes. All his sassiness and the witty remarks, start to make sense and if there's something I'll always adore about this books, is how much you see the characters grow and develop under your nose.
Damen is still a cupcake of a guy. I think my love for him will never cease to exist, and I was pleasantly surprised to notice how much he and Laurent have to learn from each other.
I didn't notice the first time, because maybe I was too consumed by their burning and longing passion...
The award for favorite character, however, goes to Jord. I ADORE THAT MAN.
He deserves nothing but happiness. Those of you who are familiar with this trilogy, know the poor thing hadn't had much till now.

Unlike book 1, Prince's Gambit has an actual plot and it flows perfectly, without many frills and holes.
This book is also filled with the most unbelievably awesome and unforgettable quotes.
I can't believe (or can I?) how many times I found myself laughing out loud for something sarcastic Laurent said or did. And Damen does a pretty good job at keeping up with his witty bits.
I mean...
“I lack," said Laurent, "the easy mannerisms that are usually shared with," you could see him pushing the words out, "a lover."
"You lack the easy mannerisms that are usually shared with anyone," said Damen.

These two will end me before I turn 30, I swear.
Can't wait to read Kings Rising and see the eternal and anticipated shit finally hit the fan.
What can I say...I live for drama, sometimes.

I think I probably liked it better this time because I had the chance to read it and fangirl about it with two of my favorite people in the world: Ginny aka my actual Ronan Lynch in disguise, and Swaye aka my LLBFForevah.
I guess it's true what they say. Share a book with your friends and it will be the best experience ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive Prince.

March 23, 2017 – Shelved
damen:
tenor6492d6911b8ff919.gif"
February 8, 2018 –
page 73
33.8% ""It's not my fault that no one in your country can think in a straight line."

For real tho"
February 9, 2018 –
page 98
45.37% "damen: you're alive.
laurent: I'm alive. I wasn't sure you'd come back.
damen: I came back.
me:
200f9c9c63c54f1593c.gif"
February 11, 2018 –
page 145
67.13% "Not gonna lie, even if I know how this is going to end, I'm pretty sure the slow burn will eventually kill me🤪"
February 12, 2018 –
page 177
81.94% ""Damianos. Prince-killer.""
February 20, 2018 –
page 197
91.2% "A kingdom, or this.

SehFWOF.gif"
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: royal-binches
February 21, 2018 – Shelved as: shippity-ship-ship
February 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 29, 2018 – Shelved as: period-aus-past

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Can't wait to hear what Swaye is going to say. *lol*

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ I love your review and I agree with everything you wrote. XD To read this book with you was so damn awesome! <333 Can't wait to get my hands on "King's Rising". This finale is going to be epic. =)))