Megan | A Page to Turn's Reviews > A Human Element

A Human Element by Donna Galanti

This story was just as weird as I thought it was going to be, maybe even weirder! The plot was very creative, interesting and engaging. The characters are well developed, and their was a lot of thriller and mystery aspects that I loved!

The story is told in third person from a few different POV's, we start when Ben is a small child on vacation with his family just before 1980, and the birth of a rather strange child... the story jumps from there through the years are these kids grow up and develop into grown people looking for answers to who they are and what happened over twenty years previous to get them to where they are now. A very strange story wrapped up in some very alien-like creatures. It was truly a fun read, and I found myself really curious to get the answers that Ben and Laura were looking for.

Since we see these characters grow through the first few chapters of the book, we learn about their home life, work life and watch as they try to piece together what actually happened so long ago - and to see how they might just be connected to one another. You have to get past some strange things that Ben does in his time at Pearl Harbor - but other than those few sexual moments that were just kind of gross to listen to, I rather enjoyed seeing them grow up and knowing exactly who they are. The one thing this book doesn't lack at all is character development.

I loved how the story revolved around one mysterious act, and then another would happen and throw a wrench in the works... all leading up to some pretty big reveals. It was fun to see it all come together, as I was trying to predict what was going to happen all along.

Chase did a fabulous job narrating this story! I loved his voice, and the quality was way better than some I've heard as of late. He had some wonderful inflections that made the characters come to life! I had to giggle each time he did Mr. B's voice though - he sounded like Michael Keaton's Batman EVERY time and I just loved it! That character and that voice will stick with me! It was phenomenal! I also thought some of his girl voices sounded kind of silly, but they suited the story well, and have depth to the characters as well as a voice for me in my mind. I really have no true complaints. He really dud a great job!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Human Element.

Finished Reading