nymfaux's Reviews > Famished

Famished by Lauren Hammond

Aug 05, 2011

Read in September, 2011

From my blog: (\__/)nymfaux

I want to mention that I’m still a little hesitant when it comes to dystopian/post-apocalyptic books, which is why Lauren Hammond’s new release Famished was such a pleasant surprise when I picked it up!

Famished begins on the brink of the world collapsing as an asteroid rushes toward Earth on a collision course. While most people are running around crazy, Georgina Carver’s parents are preparing to survive what is imminently looking more and more like the end of the world. And thanks to her parents’ quick thinking and level-mindedness, the Carvers do survive the asteroid’s devastation. The Carvers band together with a handful of other survivors to create an underground compound, protecting them from the wasteland above. But the colonies residents are not the only survivors, outside the compound cannibals and the decayed ones still linger. While rations dwindle within the colony, The Great Famine looms without. Soon there is no choice but to send gatherers into the devastation of the outside world in order to replenish the colony’s provisions. But when she is chosen as a gatherer, Georgina Carver can’t help but wonder if she survived the apocalypse only to be lost to the desolation outside.

All my hesitation vanished once I opened the first page, and was instantly replaced with intrigue and curiosity. As much as Lauren Hammond’s Famished was dystopian and post-apocalyptic, it was also a bit of detective novel. Georgina Carver soon realizes her safe, idyllic compound life may not be all it seems, and she sets out to discover the truth for herself, sleuthing and asking questions. Georgie was spunky, quick-witted, and determined—but she was also human. I loved Georgie for her flaws as much as her strengths—especially the way she has a crush on a bad-boy, Colin, but has enough sense to see through his ploy to win her affections. It’s so easy to like someone, not so easy to walk away from temptation…Georgina is conflicted, but when she senses something isn’t on the up-and-up, she goes with her gut.

Lauren Hammond really knows how to tell a great story! Famished was fresh and unique, keeping me on my toes until the very end—and hungry for more!!!

(ARC provided by author for fair and honest review. These are my own, unbiased opinions.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Famished.