Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️'s Reviews > Engage

Engage by Drew Elyse

3 Déjà vu Stars

This book was was entertaining enough...but I just felt like I've been here before. I think I've read so much MC romance that they are all starting to run together.

So take this review with the proverbial grain of salt.

Straight up though, I most likely won't remember this book by tomorrow.

What I WILL remember though is that it employed virtually every MC romance cliche I have come to expect from, well, MC romance books.

Case in point...

1) The "Reformed" MC Club

It seems like the vast majority of biker books employ this element.

The badASS MC club - the Savage Disciples in this one - which at one time was involved in truly bad and illegal shit (which is rarely fully outlined by the way) has an overhaul of leadership and membership and now - instead of being actual badass 1-percenters - is "mostly" clean and on the straight and narrow.

description

Now their "mostly straight and narrow" is always discussed vaguely, mind you. We are supposed to accept that they are badasses...

...and yet "clean" and mild enough for the average romance reader to find palatable.

But back to what I was saying.

2) The Road Names Ace, Tank, Stone, and Gauge

description

I can't even tell you how many books I've read with these exact road names LOLZ.

Usually there is a also some form of "Taz," "Jagger" or "Snake/Viper" as well.

3) And, of course...

Of COURSE.

What would any book be these days without the "required" BDSM element.

Holy eye roll, people.

You know what?

description

Not every single book has to have BDSM in it.

I mean, my God LOLZ.

Being that this thing had all that going for it, can you guess what I was waiting for?

description

Why not add a menage scene to this kitchen sink, no?

LOL.

Now, don't get me wrong, this book was decent enough...In fact, being that it's available via KU I might check out book one and two...although I would have enjoyed this one a lot more had the connection between the H and the h been more palpable for me.

If you haven't read a lot of MC romance, you will really enjoy this.

If you are like me, however, and have read a LOT of it...this one won't stand out from the pack in any way. Regardless, it was a solid 3-star and I will give this author another go.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Engage.

March 22, 2017 – Started Reading
March 23, 2017 – Shelved as: alpha-male
March 23, 2017 – Shelved as: bdsm-or-dsdl
March 23, 2017 – Shelved as: mc-club
March 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle Great honest review, Val! :D xx

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Elle wrote: "Great honest review, Val! :D xx"

Thanks Elle :)

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan  Love your thoughts, Val.

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie Great review. By the way, loved the sons of anarchy :))

message 5: by Ari (new)

Ari Reavis In this one we have Daz instead of Taz, Jager instead of Jagger, and Stitch filling in for the reptiles.

Omg hilarious

message 6: by LM (new)

LM

message 7: by rheeza (new)

rheeza Your reviews are always so honest i love it! ;)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Awesome review! Love that last gif though!

message 9: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ Terrific review, love! xoxo

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Damn! Now I have to ask Val: have you read the 9 Minutes series by Beth Flynn? Because I can swear as far as MC stories go, this is a very good one! <3

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Jan wrote: "Love your thoughts, Val.
I am having a break from MC books for the very same eye roll reasons you so well pointed out. Good grief! we deserve better. xx"

Might need one too, Jan!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Marie wrote: "Great review. By the way, loved the sons of anarchy :))"

Thanks Marie :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Kazy wrote: "In this one we have Daz instead of Taz, Jager instead of Jagger, and Stitch filling in for the reptiles.

Omg hilarious"

Thanks Kazy lol

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ rheeza (callowaybooks ) wrote: "Your reviews are always so honest i love it! ;)"

Thanks rheeza :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Jenn *The Crimson Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "Awesome review! Love that last gif though!"

Thanks Jenn :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Steffi wrote: "Terrific review, love! xoxo"

Thanks Steffi :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Damn! Now I have to ask Val: have you read the 9 Minutes series by Beth Flynn? Because I can swear as far as MC stories go, this is a very good one! <3"

I have, yes :)

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Hahahahahaha,, As always, fantastic review

message 19: by DW (new)

DW Great review, Val ;)

message 20: by Hms (new)

Hms Fantastic review!!

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Fab review, darling!! xx

message 22: by Vina (new)

Vina great review, Val! :)

message 23: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Val! :)

message 25: by Candace (new)

Candace Great, honest review, Val! :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Candace wrote: "Great, honest review, Val! :)"

Just saw this, thanks Candace!

message 27: by Hms (new)

Hms Fantastic review Val and great visuals too!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Hms wrote: "Fantastic review Val and great visuals too!"

Thanks Hms :)