Rachel's Reviews > Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace

Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself by David Lipsky

Aug 05, 2011

Read in August, 2011

My cuz, Christina sent me this book and I didn't even bother looking up what it was. I figured it was something she knew I'd like.

I'm kind of ashamed to like this book, which is basically a transcription of a Rolling Stone editor's road trip with DFWallace. I'm ashamed because it means I'm one of those fans who likes the author as a celebrity as well as what the author writes.

The best thing about this book was how inspiring it was that DFW had so many ups and downs. How he spent an obscene amount of time watching TV as a teenager. How he took a year off college to just read. Learning that he only started writing at 21 inspired me. I want to try writing things longer than a blog post. I secretly want to write like DFW, only with my own style and awesome.

I didn't like how the interviewer was constantly asking DFW to reflect on his own celebrity. I wish he had asked more about how DFW keeps track of everything in his books, or how he determines which details are going to be the most telling of a situation, and how he got such a great vocabulary. It was a tad on the long side, but it was still constantly refreshing how... unpretentious DFW could be. How he's susceptible to the same pop-culture fads that we are. Kind of like the polar opposite of Nabokov, perhaps.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself.