Shelley's Reviews > The Emperor's New Clothes

The Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen

I ask my kids what they thought the moral of the story is. Here are their answers.

The 14 year old: Don't be an idiot. Any moron should know that they are naked no matter what they are being told.

The 11 year old: If you can't tell you are naked, you should not be king. Let the kid be king. At least he could see the truth.

The 9 year old: Always tell the truth, even if it makes people sad or cry.

So there you go. All three are girls and they all had a different take on it. I always liked this story even though it was amazingly silly. It takes a kid though to stand up and tell the truth even though it was embarrassing to the ruler of your country. And good for the king who accepted the fact that he had been fooled and tricked and took it gracefully. Good cute book and one that I hope is around for a long time.

The Emperor's New Clothes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's New Clothes.

Finished Reading
August 5, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G Yeah well...when Wayne LaPierre is doing the telling, nobody seems to know ANYthing. They can look at themselves naked, hear LaPierre tell them "no you're not, you never were naked," and the person in his birthday suit would suddenly say "I'm not naked, and never have been."
And all he has to do to accomplish this is start a riot driven by 100 kinds of fear and anger.
Talk about believing the first thing you hear.