Sarah Ames-Foley's Reviews > It Devours!

It Devours! by Joseph Fink

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, fantasy, mc-isnt-white

This review can also be found on my blog.

I’ve had this on my shelf for close to year, and finally got around to reading it! I used to be a huge fan of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast, but stopped listening a couple years ago because I personally found that the content felt a bit repetitive. I also read the first book and didn’t find it really held my interest, but thought it was still worth it to give the second one a shot. I’m glad I did! It was an interesting, compelling read. While not plot-dependent on the podcast or the first book, if you take in the content out-of-order you probably will spoil yourself, just as a heads up.

Sometimes it’s okay to find something beautiful without correctly understanding it.

The book itself ran me through a lot more emotions than I expected it to. Honestly, I was almost in tears at the end of the first chapter. No joke. There’s just enough of a mystery that you’re not quite sure what’s going on without encroaching too far into nonsense, which could have been easy to do with a world filled with such fantastical elements. There were a few places where I didn’t feel quite as invested in the story as I could have, but it really held my attention for the most part.

Sometimes where you live is just a place, no matter how long you live there.

I really adored the main characters. Nilanjana was great and I liked getting to see her struggles as an outsider in Night Vale. I found Darryl really interesting as well, especially with his background and how it tied in to some events towards the end of the book. Unfortunately, the rest of the characters didn’t have much characterization. Carlos was given some depth, but I felt like the rest of the scientists and Darryl’s friends all seemed like caricatures and were quite one-dimensional.

When considering our place in the universe, we must recognize that by having this one position we are negating every other possible position we could have.

So, overall it was a fun read and I would definitely recommend it to fans of Welcome to Night Vale or to anyone else who finds themselves interested in it. I don’t see myself picking it up again in the future, but I definitely don’t regret reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Devours!.

March 21, 2017 – Shelved
March 21, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 15, 2017 – Shelved as: wishlist
July 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 19, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-but-unread
January 24, 2019 – Started Reading
January 24, 2019 –
page 11
3.17% "Wtf how did the first chapter of this almost make me cry"
January 27, 2019 –
February 5, 2019 –
page 237
February 7, 2019 –
page 305
87.9% "Ugh I did NOT want to put this down when my lunch break ended."
February 8, 2019 – Shelved as: adult