Jackie's Reviews > Juliet Takes a Breath

Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera

bookshelves: arcs

Read it. Loved it. Absolutely fantastic. This is a book for all the queer brown girls out there!!!!! 4.5 stars.

Juliet Takes A Breath is about a fat, queer, Puerto Rican girl who comes out to her family as lesbian on the day she is about to leave for an internship with her favourite author who has inspired Juliet immensely.

Her family reacts harshly to the news and she is left to question herself and her identity as she leaves for Portland. Once there, however, she is confronted with all these new terms and phrases concerning feminism and queerness and she discovers herself in ways she never thought possible.

The novels deals with TONS of important topics regarding feminism and what it means to be queer (especially as a PoC) and I just loved every single thing about it ❤

It was honestly such a powerful read and I felt very connected to Juliet and I felt like I was experiencing everything that happened in Portland alongside Juliet. She felt so relatable to me. I remember when I was first confronted with terms like polyamory and allyship, and, just like Juliet, I was very confused. It was so nice to have these terms explained and properly discussed and dealt with in this book!

And I loved all of the queer characters so much! They were so welcoming, open and kind, and they helped Juliet on her personal journey and it was just beautiful to see so many queer women supporting other queer women <3333

Seeing Juliet’s growth and her discovering who she really is and learning to accept herself was so beautiful to read about.

I took of half a star because there wasn’t really much plot as the book was mostly about Juliet’s character development and her finding herself, but it was still absolutely incredible.

Full review is now up on my blog: https://toomuchofabooknerd.wordpress....

*Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review! This did not affect my opinion in any way!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Takes a Breath.

March 21, 2017 – Shelved