C.J. Fallowfield's Reviews > Always You

Always You by Belle Brooks

This is such a hard book for me to rate - The writing was excellent and the story of a young married couple, childhood sweethearts, facing the challenges of a diagnosis of cancer was poignant and heart-breaking. It's clear that the author did a lot of research and I'm sure shed many tears herself as she wrote it. It reminded me in parts of A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole. For all of those reasons I take my hat off to Brooks. On the other hand it wasn't easy reading, which I'm sure was her intention, but as the book went on I actually found it quite depressing - yes I cried, numerous times, because I'm human and it's an emotive subject, but there wasn't enough light relief to cut through the depressing and gritty reality of what cancer can do to not just the diagnosed, but all their loved ones who suffer by proxy. I'd have loved more of the couples story as to how they met and fell in love to form a visceral connection to them from the start, other than the feeling of sadness at the unfolding plot. Much like ATBK by Cole, I can't say it was a book I particularly enjoyed by the end, or that I will ever read again as I personally took no happiness from it at all. BUT all said and done, minus that much needed relief that I felt was lacking, it was a really well written book. If Brooks has written other books that have the balance I prefer where an author can still rip your heart out but leave you with a joyous feeling by putting it back together by the end, I'll happily try another of her works - but if this relentless angst is her preferred format then they're not suited to my personal reading style.
This was a 3.75 for me - I didn't love it, but it was so well written, and because it made me feel, even if it wasn't happiness, it doesn't deserve a lower rating. I can see that I'm in the minority with the feelings I was left with when I finished it - (view spoiler)
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always You.

March 21, 2017 – Started Reading
March 21, 2017 – Shelved
March 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader Thanks for the review. I actually appreciate spoilers as I’m a HEA girl and like to know that info before I invest in the book. You mentioned books that can “rip your heart out but leave you with a joyous feeling”. Do you have any recommendations? So many just rip your heart out and leave you there.