Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com}'s Reviews > Waking Gods

Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel

1) Sleeping Giants: ★★★½

See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

description

Release date 04/04/2017!

Another massive robot has arrived in London. They call it Chronos. It's bigger than Themis, and no one knows what it wants...

Wow, I enjoyed Waking Gods a lot more than Sleeping Giants. Not that its predecessor was bad, I just didn't find the story as engaging. This series is very technical and has a lot of scientific backgrounds which needs to be waded through in Sleeping Giants in order to make way for the action present in this sequel.

The continuation of the story takes place ten years after the first book. Almost immediately, a new giant makes its appearance and begins wreaking havoc on London. Unfortunately, he's only one of the first. The team constructed by the unnamed interviewer scrambles to try and figure out how to stop the genocide of mankind, literally standing at their doorsteps.
"This is why I wish we...I...had never found Themis. They're here. Her family's here, now."

The characters we met in Sleeping Giants take overwhelming steps toward complexity. I wasn't expecting some of them to go as deep into their emotions as they did. Unfortunately, there are a lot of casualties in this book, including some of the more interesting characters (in my opinion), and we only get to know so much about them. I would suggest not to get too attached to anyone...
"I came to realize that good and evil were out of my reach, that time was the only thing I had any control over. I could buy time, create intervals. I could not truly make the world a better place, but I could make part of it a better place for a short while."

I've discovered that there are a few drawbacks to this writing style---using a dossier to tell the story---It tends to leave a lot out. There is a lot of undisclosed information that I'm dying to know more about. Also, some of the live action parts aren't explained in full. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of action, but at times I felt lost in the setting, and what exactly was happening around me. Lastly, the time frame would sometimes jump drastically from one entry to the next. I felt like my body was shifting along with the story, but my mind was left back in time.

Overall, this was a great story. There are several facets, angles, agendas, and wars of all shapes and sizes interfering with one another. Despite everyone's differences, they are working towards one goal: keeping mankind alive.

Vulgarity: Quite a bit.
Sexual content: Minimal.
Violence: Minimal.

My Rating: ★★★★

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking Gods.

Quotes Sheila Liked

Sylvain Neuvel
“You will not die of pain, but you will never get used to it. Pain is unique in that it does not show habituation or neural adaptation, like smell, or touch.”
tags: pain

Sylvain Neuvel
“I came to realize that good and evil were out of my reach, that time was the only thing I had any control over. I could buy time, create intervals. I could not truly make the world a better place, but I could make part of it a better place for a short while.”

Sylvain Neuvel
“You were made for a particular purpose, but you can be anything you want. Anything, including that.”

March 21, 2017 – Shelved