di's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Aug 04, 2011

bookshelves: top-2011, fantasy-and-fairytale, chick-lit

** spoiler alert ** I read the whole series back to back this weekend and I can't find a 'bundle' edition on here anywhere so this'll be a review of all five (not just 'Shadowfever' which is book 5).

In so many ways this series is just my sort of thing. Killer romance, witty writing, page-turning fantasy plot. I am always so stoked when I come across the first in a series that makes me desperate to go out and grab the next four books immediately. After reading Darkfever (book 1) I was hooked and the following four books I quickly devoured in a couple of days. Love it when that happens.

There were a few things that I didn't really enjoy too much which I'll outline quickly here (just so you know what you're in for). 1: the encounters with Vlane in the first two books. Creepy and just plain bizarre. If you've read them you'll know what I mean. 2: I really don't mind bad language in books but Moning possibly used the work f*ck in this series more times than I've ever seen on paper. This in itself wouldn't keep me from dropping a star off but potential readers, don't say I didn't warn you...! 3: I love how Moning dragged the romance out over all five books. So well done. (Seriously, it isn't resolved in book one--far from it.) And I'm really not adverse to a bit of sex in books (so long as it's not too cheesy or over done), but the sex in this final book (Shadowfever) was pretty graphic, people. To be fair, there's not a massive amount of it and it's right at the end of the book (SPOILER, sorry!!!) but again, just letting you know. ;) Oh, and it's made worse by the fact that it is constantly referred to as f*cking. Gah, why!?

Other than those 3 points...I loved it. You know a series is your kind of thing when you suffer withdrawals for a couple of days after reading. Good stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.